z

Young Writers Society

Help!!!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:22 pm
jujubean05 says...

I have A LOT of work to do on my writing. Can some people give me some advice to make my poems better?? Maybe more flowing or the rhymes connect better?? Any tips and advice are welcome. Please help me!!!! :pirate3:
If life gives you lemons.................make beef stew!!!
If someone is taller than you............stand on something so you can punch them! lol thats an inside joke so if you don't get sorry.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:30 pm
Elinor says...

This really goes for anything, the best way to learn and improve something (and poetry is no exception) is through practice. If you write a poem and receive critiques, you'll know what you can improve. Even if you don't edit that poem, you can apply what was told to you to your next poem.

However, something I go by when writing poetry is to really have a focus, whether you're telling a story or describing an orange. Really focus on what you've written about by using imagery and detail, but don't let the imagery and detail take over the piece.

Also, take a look at some of the articles in this board: forum152.html

You'll find a lot of helpful advice there that should help you!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:38 pm
Button says...

Honestly, I think that rhyming adds a great deal of complications/hardships for poetry, but that, of course, is my own stylistic view. For rhyming, I've always found that keeping a smooth rhythm and allowing that to encourage your words rather than dominate them is helpful. Also, try to rhyme the sounds of the words (more towards the middle, and how the word feels) rather than the very end.
For flow, punctuation is essential, as are line breaks.
To improve your poetry as whole, I'd suggest two things: practice and review. Reviewing, believe it or not, has actually helped me grow further than writing. Reading and enveloping the words as objectively as I could really helped me learn how to look at my own work with objectivity and improve the parts that needed it.

If you ever need help with anything else or want elaboration, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor