z

Young Writers Society

Most Influential Poet(s)

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:36 pm
Galatea says...

Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti, Keroac, Plaith, Eliot, Samuel Beckett (Okay, so technically not a poet, but still a fantastic writer)....uhm, that's all I can think of for now. Existential and dada poetry/writing has always been my favorite.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:30 am
Pushca says...

i think all of mine have been said.

of course i think pete wentz is an amazing poet, but i am borderline fangirl so my opinion doesn't really count. : )
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:45 am
Tinkerbell says...

I don't think any poets have influenced me... or maybe they have without me knowing it?
I tend to read there's and just wish I had been the author because its made me feel all warm inside, lol.
The show must go on- Moulin Rouge

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:55 pm
Bard says...

Recently i've been looking much deeper into poetry, and i've grown an even keener liking in a few classic poets: Tolkien, Poe, and Tennyson.

Looking deeper into poetry I've the structure they use facinating--and yet so simple. This has opened my eyes to the facinating possibilitys that poetry has in store.

My favorite out of the three I listed would probably be Tolkien. I enjoy his work because of its deep roots in literature, folktales and mythology, his use of rhetorical devices, imagery, an lyrical quality.

~Bard
"I am not bound to please thee with my answers."
-William Shakespeare

Reviews: 3
Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:43 pm
ChadS says...

Edgar Allan Poe influenced me quite a bit, because of the gothic nature of some of his poems, the strong emotions, but then I also was influenced by some of his nonsensical poems.

Tim Burton also influenced me, he has a very quirky style with strange, abstract/downright weird themes.

Lastly, I like William Blake and Lord Byron's work, partially for the subject matter, but also for the excellent style.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:26 am
sanguine_dreams says...

I cannot -- seem to say --
What influences I have known,
My poems do -- not portray --
From whose writing they have grown!

(My attempt at an E.D., except it rhymes ABAB instead of ABCB and has a more consistent feeling meter. "Influences" doesn't really work, though. Oh, well.)
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:15 am
Chandni says...

Rosabelle Illes all the way :)

Even though her structural skills tend to scare me sometimes, her poetry remains simply wonderful.
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:56 am
whence says...

I don't..really..read poetry. Like, published stuff.

-hides-
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

Reviews: 4
Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:04 am
Common Sense says...

Hmm, I'll throw in mine..

Langston Hughes no doubt in my mind. Also, a lot of Hip Hop artists that actually still do the art of poetry and lyrics et cetra...Like Common, Zach da la Rocha, Nas, Black Thought among others.
Truth Through Me

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:11 pm
Meep says...

Y'know, I don't read much poetry (something that irks my dear friend to no end - I owe her a public apology: sorry, Baz!), even though I write a little bit.

The poets who've had the most influence on me are the group of slam poets who performed at the Young Vermont Writers' Conference. I'd never thought poetry could be much fun (er, sorry, Shakespeare and Dickenson, Milton and Shelley) until I saw them/heard their poems.

I'm also a big fan of Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Jim White.

(I have a hard time comprehending poetry unless I hear it; I don't know why. Thus, the poets I like best (and who've had the most influence on my work) are poets whose work is meant to be heard and not seen.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Emerson says...

-hides-
I second that! -_- I'm trying to find more books of poetry to read so I can take my own advice. [It's amazing how many people don't take their own advice.] But it's not like reading novels, or even short stories...So it's odd. I'm trying to hunt some stuff up, but it doesn't happen too often...eh. Eventually.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:16 pm
something euclidean says...

-hides-

I second that! -_- I'm trying to find more books of poetry to read so I can take my own advice. [It's amazing how many people don't take their own advice.] But it's not like reading novels, or even short stories...So it's odd. I'm trying to hunt some stuff up, but it doesn't happen too often...eh. Eventually.

Anthologies are good places to start reading poetry -- most of the books I've got are random anthologies, like from "Poetry Daily" and "Best American Poetry" and stuff, because then you get a whole mix of styles and subjects and - depending on the book - times. So you're not just stuck with one writer and their preoccupations, and you get a range, and there's probably something in there that you'll like.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:50 pm
Palantalid says...

shelley? shelley? .........anybody? o well, i just find the whole romantic era of poetry really interesting- lots of imagery......i havent come to the stage where i really appreciate the long lined, unrhymed andvery metaphorical poetry. i kinda find shelley to be like a family friend who i can meet once in a while. i'd also add shakespeare and wordsworth...... o yes wordsworth.
What syllable are you seeking,
Vocalissimus,
In the distances of sleep?
Speak it.
—Wallace Stevens, “To the Roaring Wind”

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:31 am
Cade says...

*jumps up and down, waving hand in air* WALT WHITMAN, WALT WHITMAN! Though I'm ambivalent about a lot of his word, e.e. cummings has certainly influenced the way I think about writing. Billy Collins is also a cool contemporary poet.

I agree with Meep, though, it's also great hearing it out loud. One of my favorite poet/musicians is Leonard Cohen. My god, he's amazing. *squees*
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:38 pm
adriangarcia says...

Personally, Mary Shelley is the most influential literary figure for me. She is the reason I got into literature.

Poetry wise, Percy Shelley, Sylvia Plath, Robert Frost, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Lewis Carroll, ETC.

If I think of any more I will EDIT them in.

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley