z

Young Writers Society

Why is Shakespeare so flippin' sweet?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:50 am
Snoink says...

Okay, a member thought it would be totally awesome to have a discussion about this, and I agreed!

What makes Shakespeare totally flippin' sweet and so enduring?

Discuss! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:07 am
David Guinness says...

He has an amazing ability to capture sorrow, tragedy, sarcasm, joviality, humour, word-plays, and "thou"s all in a couple of sentences. :)

Erm.. in other words, his incredible elasticity in written work.
David Guinness

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:37 am
backgroundbob says...

He's not bad: some of his plays are better than others, and the same for the sonnets. There are certainly moments of absolute genius, however.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:25 pm
Meshugenah says...

eh.. comedy and sarcasm in poetic form. It's brilliant. Well, that and I'm talking about Much Ado About Nothing... which I love. That, and it's lasted so long, stood the test of time thus far.. themes that are still revelent (and funny as all else, too!), fun to read, act, etc. And it sounds so great when read well.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:32 pm
zell says...

well he has the lovable oldie english accent his plays have tragedy, horror and happy things in the play you've got to love it i mean who wouldn't

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:02 am
Poor Imp says...

He had a brilliant ability to entertain, didn't he? And though that's not always a very lasting trait, he picked the enduring themes of human history and conflict to express - in words that often managed subtlety and simplicity. Certainly he appealed to a broad audience then; and his stories seem to appeal just as much now - if not always the words. The modern retellings and films, I mean.

...off the top of my head.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:49 am
Sponson Light says...

Well he seems to be boringly long in the beginning, then hookingly good at the end.
But by the time the end comes the play ends. Then again that is expected.

Oh his Macbeth play is fun to parody!
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:28 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

...My favourite Shakespeare is that Sonnet...can't remember what number, maybe 130...anyway, it's the one that goes "...my mistress'..."
I have to say, I didn't like hamlet...snore...

459 Reviews

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 am
Poor Imp says...

Didn't like Hamlet? Not snore, at least...liking and caprice - oh well. But snore?

:cry:

You have to like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead though, yes?

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:40 am
zell says...

my fav shakespere play is macbeth its easy to understand and its so gory yay

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:21 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

Lol, sorry Poor_Imp. And I haven't read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, no.
I liked Macbeth. But the thing is, I did both Hamlet and Macbeth at school, and they were kind of similar in a way...Hamlet was a little odd, I thought.
I love Midsummer Nights Dream!

459 Reviews

Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:25 pm
Poor Imp says...

I love Midsummer Nights Dream!

Yes! ...Midsummer Night's Dream - couldn't agree more. Brilliant fun. (I got to play Puck once...what a lot to memorise!)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, by the way, is a play - but more recently a film - and it's hilarious. If you ever get the chance to borrow it/buy it/rent it - do! ^_^

-Lloyd Alexander

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:25 pm
Teufelshund says...

More like "Shakesqueer".

I see nothing important in Shakspeare and his works. Yeah, he gave us a few new words, but he also gave us headaches.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

459 Reviews

Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:27 pm
Poor Imp says...

Teufelshund wrote:More like "Shakesqueer".

I see nothing important in Shakspeare and his works. Yeah, he gave us a few new words, but he also gave us headaches.

'Shakesqueer'...how so? And besides words - what about stories? (Just not written any more deftly than someone else might?)

-Lloyd Alexander

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:13 am
Rei says...

Actually, none of those stories were of his own creation. Back then, people knew the ending and that's the way they liked it. Until around the 1700's, writers used stories they knew and put their own spin on it, with their own voice. However, Taming of the Shrew was a combination of two stories rather than just one.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Act in the valley so that you need not fear those who stand on the hill.
— Danish proverb