z

Young Writers Society

Poetry vs. Prose and where to submit it?

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat May 18, 2013 10:01 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Been bugging at me for a while now. I've been writing a fair amount of prose lately, formatted like a short story, but more lyrical and very, very short. So not really a poem but not a short story either.

When you guys write prose, do you submit it to Poetry or Short Story? I've been putting mine under short story and categorising it as "Lyrical", but it irks me that it's really neither nor.

What do you all think? Anybody else have a similar dilemma?
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun May 19, 2013 10:16 pm
niteowl says...

Hm...you could go for the amorphous "Other". That's what it's there for. The downside being that with all the new tabs it might not be as visible. Then again if it's under Short Story but more poetic people might be turned off.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Yeah, the Other category kinda seems like the netherworld to me. But like you said, every time I post prose to short story people get confused by why it's written so lyrically and it's hard to follow.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue May 28, 2013 5:46 pm
View Likes
ChubakaWooky says...

I've wondered this too. What your writing could be called freeverse and be put into the poetry section. I am writing some of the same things, but I call them proses.

The world is your oyster. Well, it’s my oyster, but you can have some of it.
— Feltrix