z

Young Writers Society

that certain kind of 'line' you found

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 pm
liz_isle says...

okay. what kind of line here?

it's the 'that certain line' you read at the ever beginning of the first chapter of a book you read, be it the authors put popular sayings/quotes or simply sentences.

so, what are the 'first line' you have came across so far?? that really give an impression that the book you're going to read probably would be sooo awesome??

i give one...

"In silence the knight prepared for battle."
from: Chapter 1,paragraph. Gentle Warrior, by Julie Garwood.
MISS WEDNESDAY

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:02 pm
Tenyo says...

I don't know if this counts, but I'm going to mention Banksy (graffitti revolutionist,) because he's awesome.

On the back cover: ' 'There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to put on the cover of your book' - Metropolotician police spokeperson.'
We were born to be amazing.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:57 pm
lilymoore says...

Probably one of my favorite opening lines ever is from Christopher Moore's You Suck: A Love Story. I mean when you open a story with:

"You bitch, you killed me! You suck!"

You have to know that a story is going to be awesome, right?!
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 pm
ReadySetStay says...

"Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler’s pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die."
-Fight Club

I also like the response the Narrator gives in response to what Tyler says, which goes something like "I tongue the gun barrel in my mouth and say, no Tyler, you're thinking of vampires."
"But, oh what beautiful things I'll wear! What beautiful dresses and hair!I'm lucky to share his bed, especially since I'll soon be dead...
Oh, why, do I wish I was dead?"

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:27 am
Shepherd says...

"You bitch, you killed me! You suck!"

This makes me want to go find this book!
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:44 am
Navita says...

'In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game.'

From Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It only gets better from here.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:18 am
Attolia says...

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

Kafka's first line of The Metamorphosis. Gotta love that stuff, utter brilliance.

Camus' in The Stranger is pretty good as well:

"Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure."

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:16 am
leebass says...

People are afraid to merge on freeways in Los Angeles. - Less Than Zero

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First... - American Psycho

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec