z

Young Writers Society

Smokin' on Sesame Street (final part)

Random avatar

Reviews: 118
Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm
TheEnigma says...

They were at the hospital for at least an hour before Elmo’s parents arrived at last. Two, well-dressed successful businesspeople, it seemed impossible that they could give birth to such a wayward son. Elmo’s father did not seem very interested in the proceedings; he filled out the paper work. Elmo’s mother had a clipped, formal way of speaking.

“Thank you for finding him,” she said to Zoe and B.B. (he stood in the doorway, unable to fit in the room). “I’m surprised that he would do this.”

Are you? Zoe wanted to ask, but she didn’t say anything. Obviously Elmo’s parents didn’t know their own son.

Behind her Elmo was starting to come around. He had had his stomach pumped and a number of other nasty things that Zoe didn’t want to think about.

“You may leave now,” his mother said.

And then, what was there to do but just that?

She and Big Bird walked out, silent. He had his hands in his pockets.

“Are you all right?” Zoe asked him when they were in the car. “You’ve been really quiet.”

And it was true, she thought. Looking back, she couldn’t remember him saying anything from the time they’d arrived at the hospital.

“I’m okay,” said Big Bird quietly. Then, “You like Elmo, don’t you?”

Zoe, caught a little off guard by this question, wasn’t entirely sure what to say. “Oh—I—I guess—we sort of—”

“My God,” he said impatiently. “Just give me a straight answer!”

Startled by his angry tone, Zoe didn’t dare speak.

B.B. blew out a hard breath and relaxed his grip on the steering wheel. They were almost home before he spoke again.

“So…it’s him, isn’t it?” he asked. “Elmo, I mean.”

“I don’t understand,” Zoe asked, confused.

“Never mind,” said B.B. as he parked.

They climbed out and strode up to the front door.

“Well, I’ll see you around, Zoe,” said B.B. He hurried up the stairs away from her.

“Big Bird!” Zoe cried. “Big Bird, come back!”

He ignored her.

Zoe dragged her feet slowly up to the fourth floor. For the first time she regretted being up so high. She was exhausted.

How could it have been only three hours ago that she had charged to Elmo’s rescue?

Her mom was waiting up, worried. Zoe endured her lecture on wandering around late at night. She didn’t answer any of her mom’s questions, replying with a weary, “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” Then she shut herself in her room and threw herself down on the bed.

She fell asleep fully clothed, feeling strangely disappointed.

On Monday Elmo wasn’t at school. Zoe glanced all around the cafeteria at lunch. She tried to be subtle about it, but Cookie Monster noticed.

“What’s up?” he growled.

“Um, nothing,” Zoe replied quickly.

Elmo didn’t show up Tuesday, either, and he wasn’t at his locker Wednesday morning. But that day at lunch, as Zoe did her now-routine look around, she spotted him. He wasn’t sitting with the others, or even with Abby Cadabby and her friends. He sat alone at a table in the corner that was still covered with trash from last period’s lunch.

“I’ll be back, guys,” she said. Her friends nodded and went on with their conversation. Zoe picked up her tray and went to sit with Elmo.

He didn’t look at her as she sat down. “Hey, Zoe,” he mumbled.

“Hey,” she said. “Are you all right? I mean, from—”

“I know what you mean,” Elmo interrupted. “And I’m great. Never better.”

There was a nasty sarcastic tone to his voice.

“Did your parents bust you?” Zoe asked him.

“Oh, not at all,” Elmo said, still in that sarcastic tone. “They just took away my iPod, speakers, radio, computer, TV, and play station and I’m not getting any more allowance. Ever.”

Zoe winced. “Sorry.”

“Yeah, you should be.”

She stared at him. “What do you mean?”

“Well, why the hell did you have to drag me to the hospital? They did some nasty s**t to me. Bad way to come off a buzz.”

“A buzz!” exclaimed Zoe. “Elmo, you weren’t soaring—you were completely stoned!”

“Hell with that,” he said. “So not only do I get all this s**t stuck in me but my parents yell at me the minute I get home. ‘You’re a disappointment this, Elmo’, ‘I don’t know how you could be so stupid that, Elmo’. You know, they wouldn’t have cared if I’d been out the night, I’ve done that before, but you had to go and take me to the goddamn hospital!”

Shocked by the venom in his voice, Zoe leaned back. “Elmo, you called—”

“And not only that, Abby won’t even look at me! She must think I’m a wuss, needing a girl to come rescue me—”

“You f**king called me!” Zoe snarled fiercely. “And if we hadn’t come, who knows what could have happened to you—you could have been hurt, you could have died—”

“Oh, don’t be such drama queen—”

“And you’re still pining after some slut who was getting laid in the parking lot—”

Elmo leered. “You just don’t like her ‘cause she’s hotter than you, and you know it.”

“Yeah, well, it doesn’t matter anymore, does it? Because she doesn’t give a damn that you want drool over her boobs; she’s so over you.”

Elmo’s jaw clenched. Compulsively, both of them looked over at the table where Abby was sitting. She didn’t even glance around at Elmo; she looked quite satisfied, tossing her sparkly green and purple hair.

“I don’t even know what you saw in her,” Zoe said bitterly.

Elmo glared at her. “You’re one to talk. What do you see in Big Bird?”

Zoe felt a flash of irritation. “A way nicer boy that you, for start.”

Elmo didn’t flinch. “You mean a goody-goody with s**t for brains.”

“No, that’s not what I mean!” Zoe snatched up her tray. “Have fun eating alone. And next time you need rescuing, find someone else to save your warty ass!”

Elmo’s glare followed her all the way back across the cafeteria, but Zoe didn’t turn around. As she sat back with Cookie and the others, he asked, “So? What happened? Looks like you two had a fight.”

Bert watched her greedily.

“We did,” said Zoe with dignity.

“You gonna shut him out?” Bert demanded.

“Until he decides to act his own age,” she replied coldly.

“Sometimes I think he does,” Grover mumbled.

Elmo and Zoe wouldn’t quite ever make up. The closest they got to forgiveness that year was sitting at the same table and having polite conversation. Zoe realized she was over Elmo.

That was official the next weekend, right before Homecoming, when Big Bird raced her out to the clothes store to buy a new dress, and then over to the school to the dance. They got a few funny looks, and a sneer from Abby and her friends, but Zoe didn’t care: B.B. was a very good dancer.

The next day they went to a good part of town, where there were lots of little shops. They spent an hour wandering around, in and out of stores, before stopping to get lunch at a quiet café. And when Big Bird kissed her, his beak was sort of poky, but it was nice all the same.

Three weeks after Homecoming, Zoe looked up from her lunch to see Abby smirking at her from across the cafeteria. To her surprise, she saw Elmo sitting with his arm around her.

It hurt quite a bit less than Zoe thought it would. A twinge of jealousy, no more. Later when Big Bird asked her about it, she would just shrug.

At that moment, though, she was feeling unusually liberated. Plattsburgh had just accepted her last night, you see. So Zoe merely smiled and winked at Abby.

Then she raised her hand and gave her the finger.

Hey, not all of youth is wasted on the young.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Demeter says...

Hey Enigma!

Firstly, it's awesome you've written a fanfiction about Sesame Street, haha. I'm not very familiar with that show, and I haven't read the other chapters, but I'll try to review this as well as I can . =)

They were at the hospital for at least an hour before Elmo’s parents arrived at last. Two, well-dressed successful businesspeople, it seemed impossible that they could give birth to such a wayward son. Elmo’s father did not seem very interested in the proceedings; he filled out the paper work. Elmo’s mother had a clipped, formal way of speaking.

Away with the "at last" and that one comma. Wayward is an awesome word. "He filled out the paper work" sounds abrupt and isn't in my opinion enough to give us the impression of why he wasn't interested in the proceedings. The last sentence feels out-of-place – how does it connect to anything you've said before? Maybe delete it from here and use it later.

Then she shut herself in her room and threw herself down on the bed.

Two herselfs make it repetitious.

“Well, why the hell did you have to drag me to the hospital? They did some nasty s**t to me. Bad way to come off a buzz.”

Since it's a literary work, no need for censors.

‘You’re a disappointment this, Elmo’, ‘I don’t know how you could be so stupid that, Elmo’.

"This" and "that" sound weird.

Alright. This story was quite absurd. xD I mean, don't get me wrong, it was very amusing. Just to think Sesame Street characters in high school. Cookie Monster and all. So awesome. Very original to say the least. Anyway, yeah, this review is basically just nitpicks, because I don't know how the story goes.

One thing, though. The ending seems a bit rushed. Was this the last part of a short story or a novel? You've posted it in short stories, but I wondered. Anyway, the ending seemed a bit like you just wanted to get this finished and posted. Maybe it's supposed to sound like that, but I personally wouldn't have wanted to see a bit calmer end.

I hope I could help you.

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:13 pm
Juniper says...

Oh my goodness, if this didn't make my day, it made my year. This was... I don't even know. Goodness. I knew the Sesame Street characters weren't all the innocent children they pretended to be. And I knew they grew up. I knew it.

I don't have much criticism; I don't think you need to censor out the swear words if you give this story a rating. I think, overall, you did a fair job.

And when Big Bird kissed her, his beak was sort of poky, but it was nice all the same.

This literally made me laugh out loud. Good stuff. You should write more things. I like the way you write. ;)

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

Random avatar

Reviews: 118
Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:57 pm
TheEnigma says...

Was this the last part of a short story or a novel? You've posted it in short stories, but I wondered.

It was kind of a really long short story.

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon