z

Young Writers Society

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:14 pm
Ray112 says...

yeah, you're right. Just the avatar movie made me so mad that i wanted to make my on screen play of it xD.
Last edited by Ray112 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Insert life changing statement"

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:38 pm
LadyPurple says...

Ray112 wrote:Avatar: The last air bender
Prologue:
Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Avatar kept balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar mastered all four elements. Only he could stop the ruthless firebenders. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years have passed and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war. Two years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me and my brother to look after our tribe. Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken, but I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow the Avatar will return to save the world.

Chapter One: The boy in the Ice.

“Go left!...You call that a left?!”

“Look if you don’t like my driving Katara, you can find another boat!” Sokka yelled back as he steered their canoe through an ice field. Katara frowned and folded her arms while, looking at her brother critically.

“Yeah, if that’s what you call driving.”

Before Sokka could reply the canoe jerked so hard that he was nearly launched over the edge. Katara lost her balance also but braced herself in time enough to prevent a serious fall.

“Nice one genius,” Katara said rubbing her bottom, “your so called ‘driving’ got us stuck.”

“Well you know what Katara, since you’re so brilliant why don’t you just water bend us out of this ice. While you’re at it, why don’t you just use your magic powers to steer us home yourself, since my driving’s so bad!”

Katara’s eyes narrowed. “So this is my fault?”

“If the shoe fits!” Sokka yelled growing with frustration. “Besides I should’ve known not to bring you a long. Leave it to a girl to screw things up.”

“Idiot!” Katara yelled as her cheeks began to burn and tears ran down her cheeks. Sokka took a step back knowing that angry Katara was not to be taken lightly especially when she started crying. It takes a lot to make Katara cry. Once when they were young, she slipped on a patch of ice while they were playing tag and sprained her ankle. She was only six years old and she didn’t shed a tear. From the time they were kids, Sokka had only seen Katara cry twice: first when their mom died, and second when their dad left to fight the fire nation.

“Whoa, Katara…”

“You sexist, immature, nut-brained…” As Katara’s rage grew, she failed to notice that the ice berg behind her had started cracking.

“…Ever since mom died I do all the work around camp, while you go off playing SOLDIER…”

Katara remains oblivious as another huge crack forms on the Ice berg.

“Uhh…Katara?”

“And FURTHER more, you’re so un-appreciative, even though; I have to wash ALL of the clothes…and…and have you smelled your dirty socks?”

“Katara, PLEASE!”

“What!?” she yelled, but it was too late and the ice berg exploded sending broken ice debris in all directions. The canoe shook violently and a huge tidal wave nearly caused it to capsize. Sokka and Katara braced themselves as mist and small chunks of ice rained down on them.

Sokka’s jaw gapped “What is that?” A huge chunk had been blown from the ice berg and in place of the missing chunk was a floating ball of ice encasing a small glowing figure and floating several inches above the water.

“I think it’s a…boy.”

The boy in the ice glowed brighter and in a sudden flash of light the ice melted away and the boy hovered above the water. It became apparent to Katara that the boy wasn’t actually glowing; his body was just covered in glowing lines—tatoos.

“Oh…boy,” Sokka said. Then suddenly, the light faded and the boy dropped into the water.

“Whoa! Sokka save him!”

“Prince Zuko, it’s cold. Won’t you come to the cabin and drink tea with your favorite Uncle?”

“No, I told you Uncle. I cannot rest until I find the Avatar.”

Prince Zuko stood at the bow of the fire nation battle ship. He did not look at his uncle but instead kept his eyes focused on the distant edge of the sea.

“But Zuko, even if you’re right and the Avatar is alive, you’ll never find him. Both your father and your grandfather tried and failed.”

Prince Zuko, turned and as he did a glint of sunlight fell on to the naked burned flash that covered the area around his left eye and stretched as far his ear. Iroh winced at the sight of his nephew’s scar. The flesh had bubbled and turned hard. The flame that had caused the wound had only been a glancing blow but powerful enough that the jagged scar it left was shaped like a fire ball.

Zuko noticed his Uncle’s look and immediately shifted over to his good side, but his eyes narrowed with determination. “But their honor did not hinge on finding him—mine does!” Zuko looked out over the railing. “I mustn’t fail.”

“Zuko, you don’t have to do this. Ask for your father’s forgiveness—“

“I can’t!” Zuko snapped. As always, Iroh noticed, his nephew’s voice was filled with rage, and yet; carried an undertone of inner pain.

“The Avatar’s a coward uncle. And his hundred years of hiding are over!”

“Sokka, I think he’s waking!”

After saving the boy in the ice, they pulled him onto a bank (Sokka doing most of the work) and Katara wrapped him in Sokka’s jacket.

“I-it’s ab-bout time! I’m freazin’.”

“Here,” Katara handed him her coat “it’s okay the cold doesn’t bother me.”

As Katara crouched over the boy, she examined the tattoos on his arms, legs, and finally the last one on his forehead: an arrow aiming down.

“I’ve seen pictures of these symbols in a book once. They’re air bending tattoos.”

“Really, since when have you read a book Katara?”

“I do it on my spare time, you should try it sometime or can you?”

“For your information Katara, I have better things to do with my time.”

“Like what?”

“Intensive…warrior training…”

“Whatever. Shh! His eyes are opening.”
The boy looked around and his eyes fell on Katara. “Hi, I need to ask you something.”

“What?”

“Come closer.”

Katara leaned closer. “What is it?”

“Will you go penguin sledding with me?!”

“Uh, sure…I guess.”

“Great!” The boy jumped to his feet. “I know this amazing place. It’s really fun. Um…first have you seen Appa?”

“What’s an Appa?” Sokka asked.

“Not what. Who. Appa’s my flying Bison.”

“Okaaaay, Katara talk to me over here for a second,” Sokka grabbed his sister’s arm and pulled her aside. “Okay, seriously, let’s ditch the weirdo ice kid.”

“Really? He seems harmless.”

“No, I’m your older brother and I’m putting my foot down. He’s dangerous, if we talk to him he might endanger our village…and you’re not listening.” Sokka watched in dismay as his sister walked over to the boy. He knew there was no stopping her so he joined her over by the boy.

“Appaaaa!!” the boy yelled. “Hmm…I wonder where he went?”

“This Appa, He’s you’re friend?” Katara asked.

“Yup! He’s my flying bison. We got lost in the storm but I know he’s around here somewhere…”

“Well, how about me and my brother help you find him?”

“Sounds great to me!”

“Oh…great… lets help the crazy kid…” Sokka mumbled but followed his sister none the less.

“I’m Katara. What’s your name?” Katara asked, ignoring her brother.

“My name’s—AAAhhhchooo!!” After he sneezed the boy shot high into the air, Katara and Sokka’s jaws dropped and they watched in total amazement as the boy floated gently back down.

“You just sneezed and flew 10 feet into the air!” Sokka exclaimed.

“Really? Felt like higher than that.”

“Who…are you?” asked Katara.

“I’m Aang,” Anng said and grinned boyishly. Suddenly, the earth shook and the water beneath the canoe bubbled and burst filling the air with mist as a huge beast--bigger than anything Katara had ever seen--emerged from below sending shock waves all along the ice field. “And this is Appa, my flying Bison.”
Sokka’s jaw fell to the ground. “Our canoe…”
Anng jumped high—higher than any human should be able to—and landed on the giant bison’s back. “Don’t worry, Appa, will give you a ride. Ain’t that right Appa?” The bison grumbled a reply that sounded more like a yawn than anything to Katara.

“I’m…not so sure about that,” said Sokka.

“Come on! Appa doesn’t bite.”

“Look, sorry Aang, but there’s no way on this cold earth that me and Katara are going to ride that…and she’s not listening.”

“Hurry up Sokka!” Katara yelled from on top of the Bison. Reluctantly Sokka climbed on to the bison.

“Alright! Appa, Yip yip!”

The great beast perked up at the sound of Aang’s voice, jumped into the air…and belly flopped with an anti climatic thud onto the Ocean’s surface.

“Aww, Appa? Why won’t you fly?”

“Maybe…you only imagined he could fly,” Sokka said from behind Katara.

“No, Appa can fly. I’m sure he’s just…tired.”

“Yeah…and Bison can fly…”

“Sokka that’s enough! Aang, I’m sure you’re right. Maybe he’s just tired.”

“I guess...” Aang stroked the bison’s mane. “It’s okay buddy. It’ll come back when you’re ready.”

“Hey, Aang. You’ve heard about the war against the fire nation, right?” Katara asked, as a thought had just occurred to her.

“What? There was a war?”

“Yeah,Anng, exactly how long were trapped in that ice?”

“I don’t know. A few days maybe.”

“I think it was more like a hundred years.”

“What? That’s impossible! Do I look like a one hundred and twelve year old to you?”

“Think about it. The war is a century old; you don’t know about it, it’s the only explanation. Somehow you were trapped in that thing the whole time.”

Aang sat in silence as he took in what she said. “Wow…I haven’t cleaned my room in a hundred years. I am not looking forward to that…”

“Katara, try ,not put all of your hope into this boy.”

“But, Gran Gran I know he’s special! I can sense it.”

Katara bended the water from her canteen she always kept on her and guided it into a kettle and placed the kettle over the fire inside the fire place. When she turned around Gran Gran was smiling at her.

“Katara you’re so grown up now. You look just like your mother.” Katara blushed. Gran Gran’s igloo was of modest means. It had simple furniture, a fire place and a bed in the corner. On most days Gran Gran sat in her rocking chair and told Katara stories about her mom. Katara always fantasized about her mother, when she died Katara was too young to remember her.

Gran Gran extended her arms and Katara gave her a warm hug. Then the water started boiling so she took the kettle out and poured the water into two cups and placed green tea bags in each. She handed one of the cups to Gran Gran and kept one for herself.

“Thank you dear,” said Gran Gran.

“But, he’s special. I can tell. I can sense that he’s filled with much wisdom.”

“… and as you can see, my tongue is stuck to my staff,” Aang explained.

“Ahhh,” the young boy acknowledged and clapped.

“Hey, Kanta! What’re you doing here?”

The boy, Kanta, jumped at the sound of Sokka’s voice. “Sorry, Sokka—sir,” he said and saluted.

“Right, sorry Sokka,” Aang saluted. “We were just having fun.”

“Well, fun is over! Kanta, go to formation and Aang…” Sokka’s eyes narrowed “I’m onto you.”

“Right…sorry…Sokka…Sir! I won’t do it again.”

“You better not, Aang. Or else you’re in for a lot of hurt.”

“Okay, well I’m gonna go penguin sledding now. Wanna come?”

Sokka laughed. “Why would I, warrior and leader of the South Pole warrior squad, want to do something as childish as penguin sledding?”

“Well of course you wouldn’t…if you’re scared.”

I adore Avatar the last Airbender. I would also point out the errors in this but this is basicaly you typing down the first episode. But just a bit different since you forgot a few parts of the episode. On YWS you are supposed to write original stuff.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:17 pm
View Likes
LadyPurple says...

Ray112 wrote:yeah, you're right. Just the avatar movie made me so mad that i wanted to make my on screen play of it xD.

Ah, that's alright. I didn't watch the movie yet but everyone says it ruined the series. Anyway, you could always write it on your blog or something. That way it would be for your enjoyment.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.