z

Young Writers Society

Claire and Gray - Black

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 am
emmylove says...

Spoiler! :
For those of you who don't know about Harvest Moon, the bachelors/bachelorettes go through "heart events." I was going to write a short story for each heart color, even though in the actual game there's only 4 heart events. There's a black, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red heart (in that order). So I hope you enjoy! :D

Black Heart

A short but well-built old man named Saibara was who Claire was expecting at her front door, bright and early. Because of this expectation, she was naïve enough to think it would be okay to answer the door wearing nothing but a pair of boxers and a baggy sweatshirt; no real clothes; no makeup; no shower.

Humming to herself, Claire opened the door during a pause that had followed two booming knocks. When she looked straight ahead – thinking a pair of eyes would meet hers at the same level – she saw nothing but buttons on a tan work suit. The smile on her face faded, and her brow furrowed as she looked the unfamiliar person up and down.

A faint smile betrayed his lips and his pale face grew pink. He had a hard time meeting his blue eyes with hers as he muttered, “Ah, good morning.”

Claire felt the urge to excuse herself as she closed the door, changed her clothes, and at least put lotion on her face, but she knew she couldn’t without seeming rude. Instead, she practiced one of her only nervous habits – cracking her knuckles.

“Good morning,” she replied. Claire’s face grew warm; she mussed up her blonde hair, hoping he would introduce himself before she would have to ask.

He grabbed something he had set aside – something Claire recognized right away as her axe, but with a new copper head – and held onto it with the handle resting on one of his beat-up work boots. “I’m, uh, here to deliver your axe.”

“Oh,” Claire said, somewhat amused at her ignorance, “I see. I was just expecting someone about a foot shorter than you and probably forty years older.”

The boy gave a nervous laugh but said nothing else. Trying to get something else out of him, she asked, “So you work for Saibara?”

A bemused look crossed his face for a nanosecond before he realized who Claire was talking about. “Er, yeah. He’s my grandfather.” He grabbed the rim of his UMA hat and lowered it so it covered part of his face. By doing that, it revealed to Claire some of his auburn hair.

Saibara’s grandson gazed at the clear Spring sky, and then quickly said, “Well, I hope you like your axe. It should be easier to use now.” He leaned the axe against the door frame and started to leave, but Claire couldn’t let him go without knowing his name.

“Wait.”

The auburn-haired boy stopped in his tracks and faced Claire again. “Yes?”

“What’s your name?” She gave him a sweet smile, hoping it would help entice him to actually tell her.

His face looked dumbstruck, as if he hadn’t heard that question in years. “Gray,” he finally said.

“Gray,” Claire repeated, mostly just for herself to remember. Then she extended her arm, offering him her hand and a smile. “I’m Claire.”

Gray hesitated in taking her hand, but he eventually took it and shook it in a surprisingly firm fashion. The slightest smirk graced his face. “Claire. See you later.”

This time Claire let him leave, and she watched as he strode by Odie’s doghouse and off the farm. She closed the door and walked up to her mirror. Staring into her bloodshot eyes and pimpled skin, she covered her face with her hands and groaned.
Last edited by emmylove on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We've stayed until the very end.
This is real for us.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 am
purplepen says...

Hi! I'm glad I finally get to review a Harvest Moon piece by you! I'm going to try to use the 'critique sandwich' way to review this. Hopefully, you'll find it to be helpful. Anyway...on to the review!

A short but well-built old man named Saibara was who Claire was expecting at her front door, bright and early. Because of this expectation, she was naïve enough to think it would be okay to answer the door wearing nothing but a pair of boxers and a baggy sweatshirt;

This part was funny! I busted out laughing at the mental picture of Claire answering the door in boxers! Although it was kind of creepy that she would feel comfortable answering the door for Saibara like that...
I thought the Idea of writing a little story for each heart event was a very clever idea. I'm glad that you put detail into it. I'm sure that someone who has never heard of Harvest Moon before would be able to understand it.

A short but well-built old man named Saibara was who Claire was expecting at her front door, bright and early.

I didn't like this sentence. You kind of worded it weirdly. Also, it wasn’t a very good attention grabber, in my opinion. But, that’s just me.

All in all, I thought this was very cute! Again, I love the idea of writing a fic. for each heart event. This will probably turn out to be a cute little series. I also liked how you didn’t make Claire some Mary-Sue, and all the character description you added. Great Job on this! I can’t wait for the purple event! :)
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
~Joshua 24:15

@(^_^)@<--- This is review monkey. He says hi!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 am
armstronge says...

I like the descriptions! It lets the reader imagine what Gray and Claire look like. The word "Spring" though isn't supposed to be capitalized.
Also, the story is called "Black Heart", this is something minor, but I don't see how Black Heart is related to the story. Usually a stories title is related to the story somehow. Unless this story has a second chapter, then you might want to change it. But as I said before this is a minor thing, so you can ignore what I just said if you want.

Great so far!
“To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world”

“A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.”

“Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.”

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:03 am
Sunshine says...

Hey! Although I don't know much about Mineral town I think I can use my other references. ;) You have no grammar or spelling mistakes that I can see. (Lucky!!!!!) Anyway, I'm with purple. The first sentance is kinda plain. It's the first sentance that's supposed to grasp your attention. Your's just kinda-excuse me-flops. Try something more dramatic, that catches your attention.

A short but well-built old man named Saibara was who Claire was expecting at her front door, bright and early. Because of this expectation, she was naïve enough to think it would be okay to answer the door wearing nothing but a pair of boxers and a baggy sweatshirt; no real clothes; no makeup; no shower.

Purple's right that first sentance seems akward. Try more along the lines of:

Claire was expecting a short but well-built old man named Saibara first thing that morning.

Seems a little less awkward, no? Other than that, I see no promblems! That's great and keep on writing! Can't wait for more Harvest Moon fan-fic's!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

He who knows only his own generation remains forever a child.
— Cicero