z

Young Writers Society

Into the Mind

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:25 am
Fishr says...

Into the Mind

Roman had barely mentioned his name when he noticed this animal-like thing wither in agony. There she lay in a pool of her dried blood, coughing and panting. Part of him felt minor sympathy but the other half delighted in curiosity. Here he had in his possession a mystical creature, all his and free of authority. That is, Roman was free of pressures of mankind and he could tend to the angel anyway he saw fit.

He knelt on her right side and every few seconds Roman glanced at his kneecaps. No, you haven't crossed the borders of the circle. You are fine. A deep breath and Roman furthered his examination of angel.

She is suffering. Maybe you should offer her a pillow or least tend to her wounds. Look, she coughed again and barely has the strength to lift a hand. What if she dies and you're left alone?

"She will not die!" Roman yelled, shaking his head back and forth.

He studied the angel again and noticed she was staring back at him in disbelief.

"Sorry," he said softly. "I was… I was thinking of someone else. Don't worry. I'm sane, I promise," he lied.

Sane indeed! What man strikes a deal with the Boss Devil himself? Are you actually prepared for his payment?

"Yes, I am," Roman said softly.

A rustle of sheets and moaning echoed throughout the stone walls. His purchase stirred and wiggled. When she stopped moving, the angel turned and stared blankly in his direction.

"Are you OK?"

She shook her head slowly. "My wings, they ache."

Roman shrugged. "It's understandable. I would be hurting if I was in your position too. Anything you need though?"

"I feel too weak to drink but I have a question."

His heart began to quicken its pace. Foolish man, now she wants to know. Be careful to not reveal too much.

"I won't." he said.

"You won't what?" she asked.

He noted her tone; it was an octave higher, as if she was nervous. "What is your question," Roman inquired, ignoring the angel's second question.

A wheeze and another cough. She leaned over the wood plank, frowning in his direction. "Earlier you said, 'Yes, I am.' What do you mean?"

Might as well tell the truth now, imbecile. You are already in over your neck. Maybe speaking of some truth will give you some repent from hiring a middleman from hell, stealing her.

Roman swallowed and rubbed the wrinkles on his cheek nervously. "You really want to know?"

She nodded immediately.

"I have a terrible debt to fill. Actually, I have two technically. To bring you here I agreed to give up my wife in a swap; her life for yours. My wife, she… she..."

His head dropped sadly towards the stone floor.

"What is it?" he heard the angel ask.

Roman slowly lifted his head and shivered. "My wife; her health was failing. It was only a matter of time before the immense loss of blood took its toll. One day, I prayed for a solution and a little grayish man with a top hat appeared almost instantly. He said he could help but the cost would be great. I mentioned to the Boss Devil, I wished for my wife to not suffer and asked if there was a way to save her. I also told the little impish creature I didn't want to be alone either. He said there was a way, but I wouldn't like the choice. The deal was I would place my wife's soul in his hands and the Boss Devil in return would steal an angel from Heaven. This way I would have an immortal wife, one who would never die and leave me."

He noticed her face pale into a light shade of blue. "Well, that's the short version of the story anyway," Roman added.

The angel stared open-mouthed.

Roman shrugged, "You asked, not me."

"So, you gave up her for me?"

"I did. It was the hardest decision I ever made."

"Is she… Is it dead? That's what humans call it right?" the angel said.

"Not yet. Tomorrow though. Tomorrow… Are you sure you don't need something?" he asked.

"What was the other debt?" she said curiously.

"Uh hem!" Roman said, and swallowed more saliva. "If by some chance you don't survive the impish figure will extract my own soul. He mentioned it was an extra payment for his own hard earned work. I agreed since you are an angel, therefore you're immortal right? You can't die, so I have no reason to worry. You are immortal right?"

"I'm bleeding," she said simply. "I've never bled before."

Roman stiffened and before he could ask what the angel meant, a puff of whitish and blackish smoke appeared, inches from the circle.

Both Roman and the angel gawked north, where the smoke appeared. A man or something that resembled a man stepped into view.

The angel noticed the corners of Roman's eyes twitched and his hands shook slightly. A tail wagged behind the figure as it walked over to Roman. As the figure stood, he tipped a brown hat and bowed. She noticed when the thing tapped the human called Roman with his triangle tail; Roman jumped and eased away from the wood plank.

It can't be! It's too soon, too soon. Why is he here?

"Why are you here?" Roman blurted.

"Payment time. By the way, how is the little lass holding up?" the figure snickered.

Roman stood angrily and clenched his fists by his waist. "She is fine. Why are you here?"

"Your wife's days are nearly over. I'm afraid plans will have to be changed. I thought it would be in the best interest of my current client that you are aware that I will in …-" The figure stopped, and checked his wrist watch. "It's quarter of twelve and in fifteen minutes I'll will kindly take your wife's soul, as planned, rather than tomorrow. A fresh aura is more easily controlled then one that has been dead for a day."

"But Boss," Roman started, reaching his arm outwards, "We agreed, you can't! Wait, so I can say goodbye at the hospital," he pleaded.

He staggered towards the Boss Devil and before Roman had a chance to grab the devil's purple cloak, the devil smiled and eased away a few inches from his grasp.

"I see your precious lass is bleeding. Better take care of her or she'll die," the devil roared with laughter and with that, he disappeared into thin air.

Imagination coaxed my finger tips while Smaur's story Wraith inspired my outlook. Have fun with this one. :D
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7276&highlight=
Last edited by Fishr on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:39 am
Snoink says...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Roman has a wife, then that means that he CAN'T be hot and handsome and that means that he probably CAN'T have a hot and sweaty scene with the angel and make her bleed in a completely different way...

And you missed his character! *sobs* He's this mysterious character that messes around with demons and he's going to be suddenly dumping out his entire soul to this angel? NO! If anything, he's going to feel a bit of restrain. She's his burden. If he is indeed doing this for his wife, then this means he loves his wife deeply. So the angel, if anything, is going to be something that he almost loathes because if his wife weren't going through whatever she is going through, then he wouldn't have to take care of her! He wouldn't just spill his secrets out to her!

Besides, he's mysterious. The way you make a mysterious character is by describing him completely and fully to the reader without telling the reader anything. For instance, when I write about Sadie's father, I don't tell you why he's so cool and cruel. I just lead you in, slowly revealing bits and pieces. And another thing I do, at least when I'm writing, is I give it some time to make you really curious about the character. One way that I love doing is getting other characters' reactions to the mysterious character before letting the readers on to the secret. And, unless I have a really really really good reason for doing it, I try not to let the character dump his emotions at once.

That's what you're doing. :P See? It doesn't really seem to fit.

And she's in pain, plus she's being enslaved by him. Why should she CARE about anything he's facing? I might be pure and innocent and slightly sympathetic, but dammit, if I'm an angel, I want to go home, and *he's* the reason I'm not going home. He's not cleaning her up, he's not doing anything physically to help her, he's just whining about his wife. Why should she care?

...I sound like I'm being ultra-critical, but really, I'm delighted with the story. Thus the long ultra-argumentive critique. ;)

*swoons* I'm starting to love fanfic.

Do you realize that the only fanfic in this forum section so far is about smaur's work? XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

365 Reviews

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:03 am
Fishr says...

LMAO! That was great. I laughed so hard, my injured kneecap flared again.

You make good points but I made the decision to not drag this into a five pager. Thus I revealed things soon. However... I agree about leading a reader on and giving some little detail every so often.

Seeing your reaction, I think your a tad displeased with my choice, lol. So, I guess I'll explain my reasoning. You're right; Roman is letting her suffer therefore he's cruel right?

And she's in pain, plus she's being enslaved by him. Why should she CARE about anything he's facing? I might be pure and innocent and slightly sympathetic, but dammit, if I'm an angel, I want to go home, and *he's* the reason I'm not going home. He's not cleaning her up, he's not doing anything physically to help her, he's just whining about his wife. Why should she care?
What choice does she have? She can't move and is bleeding to death. If I was in her position I would want to know everything about my capture or find a clue to his reasoning. I'm (the angel) a prisoner and barely able to move. So, what else is there left?

As for my Roman, :twisted: I think he turned out pretty well. Your reaction, Snoink, was something I expected, lol. You think highly of him, whereas I don't. My Roman is a self-centered prick. Even though he gave up his wife, notice he really doesn't show any real emotion; notta. He acts casual about it, even when he knows his wife will be gone tomorrow. How much of an ass could one person be? lol. It's only when the devil comes into play at the end the reality hits Roman full blast of what's about to happen.

Think of it this way; most people automatically assume when someone is about to die, sadness should develop. Ah ha, and here is where my twisted mind comes into effect. ;) Though it never clearly says it, denial plays a part with Roman. He acts so casual and then when the decision is swiftly presented, reality hits.

As for Roman blurted his whole past, *shrugs* if I was in his position and with no else to talk too, I guess I would speak my mind too. Hey, the angel is the only vi sable person there. Who else is he to talk to? His wife is practically dead, might as well spill something.

Eh, sorry, Snoink. But my version made Roman a jerk in some respects. Mysterious is no more.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 am
Snoink says...

XD

Oh come on...

What you have to do with those kind of characters is the SLAM DOWN! method. That's what you do with the character, not make him an overemotional wussy! I mean really... he sees her like this, and now that he sees her vomit, he feels ashamed of what he's done. Maybe, but wouldn't he feel more ashamed that he's enslaving her in the first place?

And besides, if I saw someone vomit on herself, not able to even clean up afterwards, I wouldn't feel pity. I would feel sickened. And I would either rush up and try to help or run away as quickly as I could.

Also, your Roman is a bleeding heart liberal. "OMG! SHE'S IN PAIN SO I'M GOING TO WHINE TO HER ABOUT MY SUCKY LIFE SO SHE UNDERSTANDS! OMG, I SUCK SO MUCH!"

...really. :P

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

365 Reviews

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:35 am
Fishr says...

Also, your Roman is a bleeding heart liberal. "OMG! SHE'S IN PAIN SO I'M GOING TO WHINE TO HER ABOUT MY SUCKY LIFE SO SHE UNDERSTANDS! OMG, I SUCK SO MUCH!"
I'll thank you some day when my laughter isn't forcing my knee to bounce, LOL. ;)

Actually, my Roman didn't actually spill his heart to her directly. He was having internal conflicts with himself and kept unconsionsally blurting answers out loud. That caused curiosity with the angel, so she asked.

I don't know about you but if someone asks me a question I try to properly answer it. Roman did that.

That's what you do with the character, not make him an overemotional wussy! I mean really... he sees her like this, and now that he sees her vomit, he feels ashamed of what he's done. Maybe, but wouldn't he feel more ashamed that he's enslaving her in the first place?
Technically, yes. However, in Smaur's original story Roman stays clear of this 'special' circle. He seems to afraid of it. The angel is inside of the circle so for whatever reason he doesn't step inside it. So if he's afraid how can he help her?

I don't know anymore than you because Smaur hasn't told us, so.... *twiddles thumb* I suggested Roman to be curious with the angel and in return have him belittle himself. This in return brought out his character.

Hmm... In Smaur's original story, I never noticed anywhere where Roman actually seemed sympathletic. That actually was the basis of my version. Here he was not moving and inch near her, except offering a drink. Woopie. Don't you think that's a jerky thing to do? That's what I saw from the original and I went with it. :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:44 am
Snoink says...

Well... okay, I suppose I didn't like the POV. It was like, do we have to know every stinking comment that goes in his mind??? I mean, if you did it and described something differently, then it would be okay, but...

You know something like this:

Vomit. He scrunched up his nose and felt woozy. Slowly he began to back up. This was getting harder, much too hard.

You know, something else besides a miserable pit of angst. :P

Technically, yes. However, in Smaur's original story Roman stays clear of this 'special' circle. He seems to afraid of it. The angel is inside of the circle so for whatever reason he doesn't step inside it. So if he's afraid how can he help her?

Could this be because since she is becoming human, she's beginning to have more human things happen with her? I mean, she's vomiting and bleeding all over the place. Isn't it possible that she has also soiled herself, so that the circle is filled with human filth? That would be enough motive for me...

Besides, he might have been asked by the demon to not directly interfere with her.

I don't know about you but if someone asks me a question I try to properly answer it. Roman did that.

This angel is just like an innocent little child, at the moment anyway. Would you tell the little child how much your life sucked? No! Because the child wouldn't be able to understand. Besides, she's going through a lot more than Roman, so why would he feel compelled to tell her a sob story of his life? Doesn't he feel enough like she's handling enough?

365 Reviews

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:56 am
Fishr says...

Besides, he might have been asked by the demon to not directly interfere with her.
Right, so why would he rush to her aid and bandage her and stuff, if there's a circle of human filth? Not to mention if he's not supposed to indirectly interfere?

Then again, I didn't think of that myself and here he was near the circle, lol. The poor man, lmao.

Besides, she's going through a lot more than Roman, so why would he feel compelled to tell her a sob story of his life? Doesn't he feel enough like she's handling enough?

Well, he doesn't know anything or how she's coping with the changes and pain. Remember, we only know because we're the readers. Roman however, only knows what is physical displayed in front of him, not the angel's visions and such.

I, however wasn't under the impression she wasn't acting like a small child. I guess if that was the case, I would have approached it better. But I never saw that at all. I saw a weak, frail angel falling in and out of conscious, then eventually she bleeds and vomits.

Edit, fixed some lose ends in my fatique state. Smaur... Enjoy! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:40 am
Griffinkeeper says...

This is good for your age, write more.

My favorite part was this: "A rustle of sheets and moaning echoed throughout the stone walls. His purchase stirred and wiggled."

It was great; but shouldn't this be rated R?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

365 Reviews

Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:54 pm
Fishr says...

Hmm... I can change the rating if you really want me too Griffin, but I honestly don't see anywhere where R rated material is suggested.

Up to you though. If you think there should be a rating, then I'll put one on it.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:14 am
smaur says...

Hee hee. I love you guys.

À la Demons and Angels, I'm not going to crit this, but more or less ramble on and on about things that I thought were cool.

- The Boss Devil. Hehehe. He has a purple cloak and a wrist watch and needs fresh auras to manipulate. You've made him such a fun character.

- Your version of Roman. It's different from Snoink's and mine; he's wrinkly and has a dying wife and may or may not have multiple personality disorder. He's literally conflicted; he's got a Real Live Voice In His Head (or real enough) that talks to him and berates him and insults him plenty. Plus, you give us a better idea of Roman and his motives and feelings through his conversations with Little Voice Dude:

What if she dies and you're left alone?

Yeah, he's creepy and doesn't love his wife as deeply and truly as maybe he should (sacrificing her up for an angel? wow, that's true love for you ;)) but he's lonely and that seems to be his underlying, driving motive throughout the story. He has the angel because he's afraid of being alone; he loves his wife but ultimately gives her up because he needs companionship and he'll get it in any form it comes.

-
He noticed her face pale into a light shade of blue.

I didn't even notice this the first time I read it, but I like this. We're reminded once again that she's distinctly unhuman, and in such a cool way! Her face turns blue. I love it.

This is intriguing. I don't know why the angel switched from "she" to "it" but I have a lot of speculations; first and foremost, her being guilty and trying to stifle that guilt by objectifying his wife. But it makes her a much more human character, and to some degree, puts her on a level close to Roman. She's not willing to deal with the consequences of her arrival in Roman's basement, and as you took the religious route (like Snoink ;)), it's all the more fascinating because she's an angel. In the traditional sense, with purity and all. And you remind us in that same passage that she's very much a non-human ("That's what humans call it, right?") and the contrast is great.

Knowing where Wraith actually goes, your version and Snoink's version are so much cooler than the actual story. :roll:
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

365 Reviews

Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:34 am
Fishr says...

Hehe. It's raining so I have nothing better to do then what I do best; ramble on and on.

Snoink and I got in a long debate about this story, as you can see. She wasn't happy I quickly exposed him, lol. She wanted him to remain mysterious and assumed I would follow this route. But... That's not necessarily my writing style, even though I agree 100% to lead a reader on with bits of details. I treat characters I grow fond of as if they were realand I wanted to get a feelfor Roman. I wanted to get inside his head and understand his motives from the little information I gathered. What better way to understand someone then to get inside their thoughts? :D The Roman I saw was not a compassionate, caring, thoughtful man. Not by a long shot. Scared and uneasy, yes, but that's it.

If I continue with this and I probably will at some point, his loneliness will be the ultimate direction where I want to take this version. Loneliness has quite a few levels and it will only a matter of time before his 'voice', and other realities, which haven't been brought forth yet, finally break him into doing something unnatural. :twisted: Of course, Snoink will probably know what I'm getting at, and even you too Smaur.

Oh, yeah. *smacks forehead* If his constant belittling (his voice) isn't bad enough, how about our little friend, the devil to add to Roman's personality? ;) Or should I say problems? Uh huh... That's right. ;)

Let's keep in mind two main things with this story: 1. The dude (Roman) is a sorry, pathetic, jerk. Yes, he cares for his wife but fears too much to be alone instead. 2. The angel is suffering greatly. She's slipping in and out of conscious, bleeding and vomiting. In other words, if I may, she seems to be dieing but slowly.

Well... This is where Roman comes in play at some point. And the devil will add to his troubles. I love antagonists in stories, lol, especially when they are annoying but directly effect the main character(s). :D :twisted:

Yay! Smaur liked my story. But.. but.. No crits? *dies of shock*

- Your version of Roman. It's different from Snoink's and mine; he's wrinkly and has a dying wife and may or may not have multiple personality disorder. He's literally conflicted; he's got a Real Live Voice In His Head (or real enough) that talks to him and berates him and insults him plenty. Plus, you give us a better idea of Roman and his motives and feelings through his conversations with Little Voice Dude:

Quote:
What if she dies and you're left alone?

Yeah, he's creepy and doesn't love his wife as deeply and truly as maybe he should (sacrificing her up for an angel? wow, that's true love for you ) but he's lonely and that seems to be his underlying, driving motive throughout the story. He has the angel because he's afraid of being alone; he loves his wife but ultimately gives her up because he needs companionship and he'll get it in any form it comes.
Yeah, I noticed, lol. But for some odd reason that quality has drawn me to his character. Giving up his wife ... pfft... like that. It seems to prove there had to been other conflicts, like why is he so fearful of being alone? Seriously, how could someone sacrifice their wife especially when their about to die? Clearly there is something else going in with this Roman I've haven't tapped into yet. I'm actually surprised Snoink didn't catch on to this too.

LOL, yeah he's definitely conflicted. From what I gather while reading through this again, he carries more demons and mishaps then the Roman you and Snoink are portraying. He just seems to have a lot of baggage; things that are built and are slowly erupting from his mouth. I'm not sure myself until I do more exploring but it appears something drastic happened. Something... *scratches head* Something more then his dieing wife... Hmm... It just seems there's more to it then what's happening. And here I go again, analyzing, my own story too. *slaps self* LOL.

Quote:
He noticed her face pale into a light shade of blue.

I didn't even notice this the first time I read it, but I like this. We're reminded once again that she's distinctly inhuman, and in such a cool way! Her face turns blue. I love it.
Every once in a while, I find the correct wording. :D Thank you. :)

Quote:

This is intriguing. I don't know why the angel switched from "she" to "it" but I have a lot of speculations; first and foremost, her being guilty and trying to stifle that guilt by objectifying his wife. But it makes her a much more human character, and to some degree, puts her on a level close to Roman. She's not willing to deal with the consequences of her arrival in Roman's basement, and as you took the religious route (like Snoink ), it's all the more fascinating because she's an angel. In the traditional sense, with purity and all. And you remind us in that same passage that she's very much a non-human ("That's what humans call it, right?") and the contrast is great.
LOL! I actually forgot about this when Snoink and I got into our little debate. Ah well. Like that, eh? :) She's slowly turning into a human because immortals can't bleed but on the rebound the angel hasn't crossed over just yet to humanity. I'm actually quite surprised, Smaur. In fourteen words, you unraveled what I was trying to explain and more. Some of the points you mentioned I hadn't thought of and it will open new windows for the next time such as "first and foremost, her being guilty and trying to stifle that guilt by objectifying his wife. But it makes her a much more human character, and to some degree, puts her on a level close to Roman. She's not willing to deal with the consequences of her arrival in Roman's basement" Isn't analyzing wonderful? Great work there, Mrs. Detective. 8) You helped me by point that (bolded area)out.

Yay! Smaur likes it. *does a little dance* Thanks for the comments. *coughs* I already see grammar errors. *coughs* Snoink disagrees but I think I have a more complicated Roman then I bargained for, lol. We will see. ;)

Smaur must be flattered right now, lol.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:49 pm
concertchick16 says...

Could you possibly go into more detail on the angel? Is she really gorgeous? Or more alien, since she's not human. If his wife dies does the angel live? and how on earth did the Boss Devil or whoever steal an angel? Why is she bleeding? is it because she's left heaven? is she still"pure" or what? WRITE MORE!!!!!!
"no, i don't hate you, don't wanna fight you, know i'll always love you but right now i just don't like you..."

365 Reviews

Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:58 pm
Fishr says...

Why is she bleeding?
Well, that's explained in Smaur's original story Wraith. There should be link under my story to lead you to it.

As for the other questions I have a fairly good grasp of the basic outlining of my version and most of those questions will be answered. Knowing my imagination the answers will probably be bazaar but on the same level, realistic. Heh, I'll try and write more. Thanks for the extra shove.

Edit, I wrote a little more and it came out really bazaar! At least I think so. *shrugs* Well, enjoy the next half:
------------------------------------------

A half-circled door opened, and two dark, blue legs stepped in a room with intricate tools on tin trays in a single-file line. The trays were in a corner of the room next to a sink, about a eight feet away from the figure. The door split into two pieces, and then evaporated into thin air. The figure tip-toed and peered around corners, checked under empty beds and even looked behind his shoulder twice.

The figure glanced towards the ceiling and winced. There were several light fixtures mounted to the ceiling, possibly fifteen. The figure raised a hand under his eyes, to shield them from the brightness.

"Ah, no cameras or others around. This pleases me, yes it does," the figure smirked.

Bringing its body on all four legs, the figure walked slowly to its destination. It heard the click and clack, as its claws touched the cement floor.

Within seconds, the figure approached a specific bed. It was neatly tailored with cotton sheets and there were two metal gates, one on each side of the bed. The gates were raised high so whoever was unfortunate to spend the night in the room would not roll onto the floor.

A forked tongue slipped out of its mouth and the figure watched it intently as the tongue slink ed and crawled up the stomach of a body lying quietly in their bed. The tongue reached the neck and it stopped suddenly. It chose to momentarily rest itself on the collar bone of the body.

The figure stood on the left side and shook the metal gate roughly and stamped a foot.

"You evul little munster! No time for gums. Gut on with it! Wake her and quit pluying gums," the figure growled.

The tongue seemed to understand its master's calling and it responded by sliding upwards near an ear and slipped inside the ear canal. Inside the ear canal, the tongue traveled near the bodies' nostrils and tickled the thin hairs with one of its points.

"Gut on with it! Quit fulling arooned. Wake her," the figure said.

The tongue retracted; out of the ear canal and crept by the closed eyelids. With one of its points it tapped an eyelid like a hand would knock on a door. It repeated the ritual five times, until a whimper escaped the lips of the body lying in the bed.

Instantly, the forked tongue responded and retracted again; this time back in the figure's mouth.

"Well done old friend. She's awake. Now, we can finish business, and be gone from this treacherous world."

The figure reached a claw out and stroked her cheek with the back of its hand. An arrow shaped tail wagged excitedly. The figure brought its pale bluish muzzle to the bodies head and pressed its scaly lips against her ear.

"We've been waiting for you. You will enjoy your new home and all the trimmings. A warning however. It does get a teeny-weeny warm down there, but after your skin undergoes its transformation, the heat is tolerable."

The bed bounced and the body whimpered once more.

"Shh… My lass, the fighting will soon be over and whatever pain you are feeling will be gone," the figure whispered.

A cough and the body sputtered fresh blood from the corners of her lips.

"Shh… Calm yourself and be patient. You will feel my hand around your wrist; ignore the cold sensation. Understand?"

Another whimper.

"Good. The grip around your wrist is to prevent any sudden movements. Wouldn't want you to run off, now would we," the figure giggled at the sarcastic joke. "So far, so good?"

The body twisted in a new direction in the bed and she moaned.

"I'll take that as a yes. After I have your wrist in my hand, you will feel a sharp jerk in the chest area. At first, it may seem painful but don't worry. I'm a master and extracting souls has been my specialty for over six centuries. You're in good hands, rest assured, lass."

"Ra… Ra..."

"Quiet! He's not here, so don't bother calling for him," the figure bellowed. "It's time! Enough diddly-daddling."

The figure reached and gripped her wrist firmly in his. He checked the left wrist, noting his claws hadn't accidentally sliced a vein before the figure proceeded. An open palm slowly traveled to the center of her chest. The palm stopped and hovered over her breasts.

An orb the size of a nickel formed almost immediately in the devil's palm. The orb grew larger until it was the size of a silver dollar. The color emitting from the palm was a light shade of blue and it engulfed the demon, causing him to glow.

The demon brought his hand towards his face and smiled at the orb. The centuries have never dulled his interest and he took delight in craft every time he saw a new orb; a new soul to manipulate.

He inhaled a deep breath and blew his breath on the glowing object. The orb danced and swayed in the air, as if it was a snowflake in a current of wind.

The body stirred and grunted softly. "Ra… Ra… Ro…, Roman?" she wheezed.

"Nope," the demon giggled. "I'm not him. In the fire, you will know me as Azure."

"Ro…-" Her voice was cut short as the orb plunged itself inside her body. A gurgling and gasp escaped her lips. She convulsed and then her head swung to the right.

The demon chuckled, reached behind and patted his back. "Good job, Self. Good job. We have another one."

A minute passed, and a small, bluish light, the size of a penny, floated slowly out of one of the woman's nostrils.

A wave of anticipation filled an empty cavity inside the demon. His vital organs were extracted the day he agreed to hunt hateful souls for a living.

The demon opened his mouth and the forked tongue danced inside on its two points as if it had legs. The orb reacted and bolted inwards. He shut his jaw and rubbed his stomach.

"Oh… You are a feisty one. The pure evil emitting from your aura is satisfying. You will do us proud, yes you will."

He cocked his head slightly and listened. "Voices… And the cavalry has arrived!"

The demon quickly brought his watch to his face and checked the time. "Ah, right on schedule." He surveyed the room once more to assure he was still alone and then he peered at Roman's dead wife. "He never did deserve you. Your were meant for me," the demon spat and before visitors entered the room, a puff of black and white smoke appeared and Azure vanished.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:01 pm
smaur says...

A mixture of creeping and interesting. Hurray!

Some notes:

- Azure. Heheh. I can't help but picture him spangled in glittery blue sequins. ;) The demon is delightfully eccentric and bizarre. He's creepy but entertaining; the tongue is a major grossing-out factor, but then he goes and does things, like:

The demon chuckled, reached behind and patted his back. "Good job, Self. Good job. We have another one."

which is pretty much the dorkiest thing ever.

Although I'm going to point out that you do interchange devil and demon, whereas I don't think they're necessarily interchangeable. Or at least, in this context, with Hell and all. Snoink has a better idea of the mythos, I think, so I'll leave this for her, but they're definitely different things.

-
A minute passed, and a small, bluish light, the size of a penny, floated slowly out of one of the woman's nostrils.

Heehee. The idea of the soul is nice — "penny-sized light"? I want one of those. The other thing is that the soul escaping through the nose sounds remarkably like the mummification process, where they push the brain out via the nose. I don't know if you did this on purpose, but it's neat.

- Roman's wife. Aww. She needs a hug.

I don't know if you mean to return to Roman and Birch, but this alternate route of the demon and Roman's wife is fascinating. The demon is so theatrical and fun, and the story so far is delightful. :D
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

365 Reviews

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:55 pm
Fishr says...

Hehehe...

Why thank you, Smaur and thank you for taking a peak. The second half needs editing because I don't feel it captures the atmophere of the room. I have two choices, which I haven't decided and that's when the editing will commence. A 'hospital' in reality is a very vague word and if I choose this *cough*route*cough* it should give depth to three of the characters - Roman, Azure and the wife. Heh, actually if I choose this specific route, the first installment will have to be changed as well.

The other choice is your generic ER. The ER would be extreamly easy for me to write, since I know this room all too well. ;)

I'm far from done with Roman and Birch but the story itself will have a lot of POV switches. I haven't wrote in the third person in a while, so it will be interesting for me to see how rusty I am.

Yes, Azure is bizarre and mysterious, at least to me. When I sink into his character, the things that will develope, with be that much weirder. ;) And yes, he is a dork at times too. LOL!

The other thing is that the soul escaping through the nose sounds remarkably like the mummification process, where they push the brain out via the nose. I don't know if you did this on purpose, but it's neat.
It was done on purpose but it never occured to me that I would be describing ancient Egypt practices. ;) That kinda gives me a few ideas. Thanks Smaur!

Thank again for your imputs! I'll PM you, if want, when I post the third part. :shock:

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)