z

Young Writers Society

Feed

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri May 27, 2011 11:38 pm
Justagirl says...

Spoiler! :
I don't usually write fan-fictions (I've never written one before), but I loved this novel a LOT. So then, naturally, ideas started to bounce around in my head and I wrote this flash-fiction fan-fiction. Please comment!

Feed

There are two things in our head: a brain, and a Feed.

The feed is my life, your life, your uncle’s life – everyone’s. We’ve been living with it for so long we depend on it. We can’t live without it, yet it’s the thing that is killing our whole world.

There’s no longer any mouth-to-mouth communication, people truly don’t do anything.

We just sit and use our Feed.

The world is falling apart around us and we don’t care. All that matters now is the new game that they’ve released on FeedNet.

The world is now dead. We can’t even tell. It’s still only about us, and the Feed. We don’t even notice as we die, millions of us a day.

The Feed still dominates us.
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 am
Liveinthelight says...

I haven't read this book, and frankly I don't even know what it's about. (Though I suppose we can assume from your fantastic little piece of insight, eh?)

This is truly awesome. It just proves that you don't need a thousand plus words to say something meaningful and describe something dramatically. It makes me want to read the book ;)

(By the way, who is the author? I'd like to look it up.)

I know this isn't much of review, so here's another question for you:

If the Feed dominates their lives, why is this story in first person? If they don't notice that anything is wrong, how is this main character aware?

Then again, I should probably read the book before judging this. Thanks for posting!
You treat life like a picture
but it's not a moment that's frozen in time

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Sun May 29, 2011 9:29 pm
ziggiefred says...

Hello there :)

Since you are reviewing like crazy today, I thought I would give some of your work a look! ;)
So I've never read this book either and have absolutely no idea what it's about. So forgive me if some of what I have to say sounds crazy.

I think generally this is really well written, but you have a bit of a problem with your comma usage. Other than that, your flash fiction, in the short amount of words it has, conveys very little information or the story is just too light. After reading this I'm not moved nor do I really get what you were talking about. It's too bland or weak. I feel like you also did not cater for someone who had not read this book, and it should count. I think with a little tweaking and you practising to write flash fiction, there can be a vast improvement.

However, I'm not saying that this is a horrible cry for help. It's readable and I can definitely understand where you're coming from...

Keep writing and good luck!
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour