z

Young Writers Society

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 am
Rabbit says...

I’m sure we’re all aware of what took place before and during World War II. For those that are confused as to what I’m talking about, it’s the Holocaust; a horrible period in history during which millions of Jews were killed.

The story ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’ is based the Holocaust and World War II. I suggest, if you haven’t already, try reading it or watching the movie. The book is one of my favourites and is very deep.

(A brief overview.) It’s the story of a boy named Bruno, who’s father is in charge of the Final Solution at Auschwitz, the largest concentration camp which killed a majority of the Jews. Bruno forms an unlikely friendship with a Jewish boy named Shmuel. Barely any of his life is shown, but then again, this book is meant to be based upon Bruno’s point of view. So I decided that I wanted to write a fanfic from Shmuel’s point of view.

This would make more sense if you have read or seen the movie, but if you’d just like to correct my grammar and such, and trust me, there’ll be quite a few mistakes with me being who I am, be my guest.

(I’ve only started it from when he arrives at the camp. I haven’t decided to write about his life before that, but I might make a prologue of it.)

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Shmuel’s Point of View

Chapter One: The Lady in the Train

For many hours, the Jews had been plunged into darkness on a train. Their only useful sense was smelling, but all they would be able to smell would be a wretched aroma of urine, feces and body odour. Their eyes would only be able to see faint, grey faces staring back at them. Their ears would only be able to hear the rattling of the train, up against the rusty railway tracks beneath them.

A diminutive child with large, pointy ears sat in the corner of their carriage, warily eyeballing the strangers who he was sharing it with. He was with his family, who of course he was familiar with, but there was only four of them, and around six or seven strangers. They all looked terribly old and sick. One woman, whose face was not grey, but a evident white, looked incredibly weak and had begun wheezing above the rattling of the train.

The boy desperately wanted to help her, but what was there for him to do? He couldn’t just sit here and do nothing though, the guilt gnawed away at his gut. Everybody in the carriage avoided her like the plague, even in such a confined area. His own Papa who he had always known as a kind man was also squashed up against a different person, desperately trying to avoid the sick lady. The little Jewish boy stood, lost his balance, and then used the damp, wooden walls to guide himself over to her.

“Shmuel…” Whispered his Mama in a somewhat scolding tone, implying he shouldn’t go over to her. Shmuel however cast a firm glance over to her then proceeded over to the woman. He reached out for a tiny bucket no bigger than his head and handed it to her. Even though it was dark, her face stood out and Shmuel could make out her faint, generous smile. Although he was in such a cold, nebulous and frightening place; this made Shmuel feel a little bit warmer inside.

After what felt like an eternity, the train had come to a stop. A horrible, ear-piercing screech almost deafened Shmuel as the train’s wheels rubbed up against the rusty train tracks. His hands instinctively collapsed around his ears and he held them there until the noise had ended.

“Papa,” he asked, removing his hands from his ears and placing them on his father’s arm, “where are we?”

His father’s eyes had saddened during the journey, and he had begun to look like the old woman. “I don’t know, Shmuel. But I suggest you hide your watch, perhaps in your shoes. Don’t let them take it off you.”

Don’t let who take it off me, Shmuel thought. He always took father’s words into account though and immediately removed one of his size one shoes. He was just about to remove his wind-up watch when the carriage doors were thrown open and they were exposed to the blinding daylight. Upon seeing what the Jewish child was doing, one of the soldiers, who was wearing heavy, mainly green clothing and a smooth, ball-shaped hat, dragged him out with brute force.

“Drop it!” He spat in his face, with absolutely no respect whatsoever. Shmuel was completely dazed, he had just seen daylight for the first time in hours and now a stranger was telling him to drop his beloved watch?

He wouldn’t have dropped it if it wasn’t for his instincts kicking in once again. The solider was holding a gun, and Shmuel’s grandfather had told him about them and how dangerous they were. They were weapons that could steel a life from huge distances. They shot shards of lead, which pierced through the air and struck their victims flesh with such an impact it broke it and almost certainly killed them.

Shmuel hesitated to move furthermore, the sight of the gun had frozen him until the man lifted it and prodded his chest with it. Shmuel whimpered and fell back into the carriage while the soldier roared with laughter.

“Jewish cowards,” he cried, “now all of you; out.”

Papa and Mama and his brother and the six or seven others (I have inserted so many ands on purpose. When John Boyne does it, for me, the repetition makes it seem like there’s more of them. Therefore, I inserted so many ands to make the carriage seem more crowded. Tell me if it worked, or if I should just use commas,) Shmuel didn’t know all departed from the cart. Along with Shmuel himself. He cast his eyes upon the millions of other people all being loaded off of the train.

His lips parted a little as he stared in astonishment. He had never seen so many people grouped in just one place before. Abruptly, his amazement of the many people was cut short. The woman who he had helped in the carriage had collapsed behind him and the soldiers were crowding around her. None of them hurried to help or panicked though. They just exchanged looks until one of them picked her up and hauled her over his shoulder.

“Another one, Herr Commandant,” Shmuel heard him mutter. The man who he had addressed as Herr Commandant just pulled out a long, ebony stick then pointed to a pile of bodies. It made Shmuel’s pupils dilate with horror. Some of them were dead; some of them were still squirming. Mama cast a quick glance towards what he was looking at, then immediately pulled his head in the opposite direction, not wanting her innocent child to witness such a cruel and sickening sight.

The child’s head was turned and set upon the Commandant once more. The jet black stick he was holding lifted and pointed at a woman with two twins. Her eyes filled with tears, as if something terrible was going to happen to her.

Shmuel didn’t understand; it was only a stick wasn’t it? The stick kept swinging and landing on random people. Some began to cry, others just bravely went with the soldiers. Shmuel didn’t think much of it, until it landed on his Mama.

--

Should I continue with another chapter? I have one planned out, but I only intend on putting it up if some people like this one. If it is popular, I'll turn it into a fanfic novel. If not, it will only be this one chapter and I'll move on to something more interesting. c: And also, I may have some of my logic wrong. I've put in what I learnt about the Holocaust a few years ago, but if I've managed to get something wrong please correct me on that.

-Rabbit <3 :3
Last edited by Rabbit on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."
--Brian Littrell.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:08 pm
SmylinG says...

Hey, Rabbit! Wow, I must say it was your title that pulled me in. I've never read the book, but I've seen the movie and absolutely fell in love with everything about it. Mostly because I love how they captured such a brutal era in the eyes of a child. Two children, actually. It was probably one of the best things I've seen based on the holocaust. Schindler's List was heartbreaking to me. I could barely watch, but I did because it was that captivating. I commend you choice of fanfic. It's not an easy thing to write about. :\

Anyway, onto the actual review here before I get all blabbery. Overall, I think you somewhat have the gist of what might be occurring if this is the very beginning of your story. One thing I think you may have left out was the fact that how all these Jews were stripped of their dignity and belongings as well as their homes. If they're on a train to some concentration camp I wouldn't expect Shmeul to really have a watch on him. The soldiers were very strict and cruel and thorough with handling the Jews. So I suppose that part through me off a little.

Also, I think if you bumped up the cruelty on how the soldiers treat Shmuel and his family as well as the others, it would seem that much more realistic. These soldiers were not nice people at all. To them these Jews were not people, as I assume you must know. And if you're looking for some inspiration on just how filthy and cruel theses camps were from the inside, I'd highly suggest taking a look at Elie Weisel's Night. It's a book written by the true story of a man who suffered his time through the camps and the abuse as a boy. He survived it, and it's such an inspirational tale. If you're trying to grasp hold of the details this book will help you to better understand, if you haven't already read it. It'll give a very in depth look at how terrible one's experience as a young child might really be. So I highly suggest it!

You inserted a note here that I wanted to answer real quick:
Papa and Mama and his brother and the six or seven others (I have inserted so many ands on purpose. When John Boyne does it, for me, the repetition makes it seem like there’s more of them. Therefore, I inserted so many ands to make the carriage seem more crowded. Tell me if it worked, or if I should just use commas,)

I too am a fan of this kind of repetitiveness. Although it's not so much the best way to properly describe or go on with thought and dialogue, the style does work with imprinting an impression on the reader as they read the narration of the story and what's going on. I think if you used this it'd be quite fine. I grabbed the effect quite easily. :] And if it's something the author of the book does anyway and this is after all fanfic, I think that's even more of a reason to try and duplicate traits of the style.

There were a few grammar things I think you may need to go back on and try and pick out and fix, but this is a first draft anyway. I don't expect spectacular writing the first time around. I always have many errors my first draft around. It's not something to worry too much about but it's something you'll eventually have to head back and clean up. I really encourage a second chapter or part to this. I think it would be a great story to work with. It has so much potential. And I'm assuming in the second chapter you'd have the part where the women and the men become separated, and I know that should be a very emotional thing for Shmuel to go through. It'll create a true impact on your reader.

I do suggest studying up more on the happenings of the inside of camp. The book I suggested will probably be the biggest tool I can think of for you to use, so I hope you read it. I think if you like The Boy in the Striped Pajamas you'll really love Night as well. And it'll help you to grasp a better understanding of what a camp might be like for a young boy. And of course inspiration! I think by reading it you'll come up with loads of inspiration to fall back on.

Anyway, great work for now! I encourage you to continue. I think this could be great. Try injecting a little more emotion and feeling though in your editing as well as any future additions to this. Emotion is the prime ingredient in a story like this. Literature on the holocaust tends to run very deep with emotion. So I only ask that you do your best in trying to best capture it. I loved Shmuel as a character, and I hope you will do him great justice with this story of yours. Feel free to contact me if you're ever in need of further reviewing or assistance. I'd be glad to be of help.
Good luck!

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:25 am
AmeliaCogin says...

Saving a review space ;)

16 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 pm
Rabbit says...

Finally, a review. And the book is wonderful, I think it has more depth than the movie, especially when you read between the lines. I found the relationship between Mother and Kotler interesting when I did that. And no, it's not. I've tried to soften the blow with this rough copy, but after reading your review, I agree that I should make it more realistic.

I was also extremely worrying nobody would understand the repetitiveness, and I dreaded somebody would correct me in a review. I'm glad to see you understood it. And also, I'll take a look at Night, it sounds interesting and considering a real Jew from the holocaust wrote it I think it will help me so much with an understanding!

I did start this quite late at night after I had been planning it for a little while. I didn't want my thoughts to escape my mind when I slept, so before I went to bed I made the beginning, then finished it the next morning. Now that I know there are a few grammar mistakes, I'll scan through and hopefully find some.

Much appreciated, Smilin' C:

Saving a review space

Can't wait to see it, I'd love a few more reviews <3

-Rabbit.
--Brian Littrell.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:25 pm
AmeliaCogin says...

Hello Rabbit!
I'm back as promised and ready to review! I'll go easy on you *cracks knuckles* lol...I'm not that bad, trust me! Anyway, on to the 1st chapter of your novel.
To cut right to my point and to answer your question, I would love to read more. I'm actually really excited about reading another chapter. Why so? Let me start for the beginning:

Your voice

Your voice as the author is very strong. You control the storyline, but the characters are still very real. I loved your tone throughout this tale: it was firm but had a slight innocence to it. I felt that Shmuel was speaking, not you. The emotion you put into this story was brilliant. There was just enough to make the reader slip into the story's trance, if you like. And boy did I get hooked: I couldn't take my eyes of the screen!

Your Prose

Your prose was lovely. It was uncluttered and simple, yet effective and emotive. Again, there was this innocence mixed with bitterness. You told the tale very bluntly, which I liked. There was no beating around the bush - no fancy words, no flowery prose - just stark, forceful language used to paint an elaborate picture. That's the beauty of words: often, I prefer simplistic prose over complicated prose, for the latter often makes it hard for the reader to picture a scene or get inside the mind of the character. You've mastered the art of straight, smooth, uncluttered prose, I'm happy to say!

Grammar and Punctuation

Now, this is where you've made your mistakes. I found quite a few errors in the punctuation department. The mistakes aren't huge; they're minor ones which can be sorted in no time ;) Nitpick!

Rabbit wrote:For many hours, the Jews had been plunged into darkness on a train. Their only useful sense was smelling, but all they would be able to smell would be a wretched aroma of urine, feces and body odour. Their eyes would only be able to see faint, grey faces staring back at them. Their ears would only be able to hear the rattling of the train, up against the rusty railway tracks beneath them.

Right - I don't get this paragraph. The second sentance has been written all wrong. Perhpas try to reword it something like this: Their only useful sense was that of smell, but all they were able to smell was the wretched aroma of feces and body odour. How's that? I don't understand your use of "Would" - it's a weird and unnessasary tense change. Just stick to "were".

A diminutive child with large, pointy ears sat in the corner of their carriage, warily eyeballing the strangers who he was sharing it with. He was with his family, who of course he was familiar with, but there was only four of them, and around him there were six or seven strangers. They all looked terribly old and sick. One woman, whose face was not grey, but a evident white, looked incredibly weak and had begun wheezing above the rattling of the train.

(Thoughts should be in italics) Don’t let who take it off me, ? Shmuel thought. He always took father’s words into account though and immediately removed one of his size one shoes. He was just about to remove his wind-up watch when the carriage doors were thrown open and they were exposed to the blinding daylight. Upon seeing what the Jewish child was doing, one of the soldiers, who was wearing heavy, mainly green clothing and a smooth, ball-shaped hat, dragged him out with brute force.

“Drop it!” He spat in his face, with absolutely no respect whatsoever. Shmuel was completely dazed, : he had just seen daylight for the first time in hours and now a stranger was telling him to drop his beloved watch?

He wouldn’t have dropped it if it wasn’t for his instincts kicking in once again. The solider was holding a gun, and Shmuel’s grandfather had told him about them and how dangerous they were. They were weapons that could steel a life from huge distances. They shot shards of lead, which pierced through the air and struck their victims flesh with such an impact it broke it and almost certainly killed them.

Shmuel hesitated to move furthermore, the sight of the gun had frozen him until the man lifted it and prodded his chest with it. Shmuel whimpered and fell back into the carriage while the soldier roared with laughter.

Papa and Mama and his brother and the six or seven others (I have inserted so many ands on purpose. When John Boyne does it, for me, the repetition makes it seem like there’s more of them. Therefore, I inserted so many ands to make the carriage seem more crowded. Tell me if it worked, or if I should just use commas,) The Ands are fine Shmuel didn’t know all departed from the cart. Along with Shmuel himself. He cast his eyes upon the millions of other people all being loaded off of the train.

This was, all-in-all, a wonderful beginning. I hope this review was helpful and I can't wait to read more!
~ Alia

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 am
MysticalBlood says...

Wow! This is brilliant! I love The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas, so this was an instant read for me. I just want to say, you captured the mood and the feel of the holocaust, to get everything right and make us feel for them is quite hard, but you did it really well!

Papa and Mama and his brother and the six or seven others

The ands are perfectly OK here. Good job!
but an evident white

Remember the whole 'an' and 'a' rule we learnt as a kid ;)
There aren't many mistakes, but i think you should check some of your sentences, some don't seem to flow very well...
He was with his family, who of course he was familiar with, but there was only four of them, and around six or seven strangers.

I think here, it would be better like:
He was with his family - the only four familiar faces - and around six or seven strangers.
But i don't know, you might want to ignore that suggestion.
Other than that, this is really good! I loved it and i'd love to see another chapter!
Well done!

MysticalBlood
'This isn't funny Dean, the voice says i'm almost out of minutes!' - Castiel
~ Nothing is true, everything is permitted... Live by the Creed... Be Discreet...

16 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:46 pm
Rabbit says...

Hello Rabbit! Hello C:
I'm back as promised and ready to review! I'll go easy on you *cracks knuckles* lol...I'm not that bad, trust me! Anyway, on to the 1st chapter of your novel.
To cut right to my point and to answer your question, I would love to read more. I'm actually really excited about reading another chapter. Why so? Let me start for the beginning:

Your voice

Your voice as the author is very strong. You control the storyline, but the characters are still very real. I loved your tone throughout this tale: it was firm but had a slight innocence to it. I felt that Shmuel was speaking, not you. The emotion you put into this story was brilliant. There was just enough to make the reader slip into the story's trance, if you like. And boy did I get hooked: I couldn't take my eyes of the screen! Thanks, this really means a lot to me. My English teacher tells me I'm very weak when it comes to the story's emotion. I tend to let my stories go weak and flop about, lifelessly. I'm told by her I can bore my authors quickly, it's lovely to see that's changed!

Your Prose

Your prose was lovely. It was uncluttered and simple, yet effective and emotive. Again, there was this innocence mixed with bitterness. You told the tale very bluntly, which I liked. There was no beating around the bush - no fancy words, no flowery prose - just stark, forceful language used to paint an elaborate picture. That's the beauty of words: often, I prefer simplistic prose over complicated prose, for the latter often makes it hard for the reader to picture a scene or get inside the mind of the character. You've mastered the art of straight, smooth, uncluttered prose, I'm happy to say! If I was to use fancy words, it would probably be in a fantasy story to set the atmosphere or something. I'm happy to here I've mastered such an art, it's quite a good self-esteem boost.

Grammar and Punctuation

Now, this is where you've made your mistakes. I found quite a few errors in the punctuation department. The mistakes aren't huge; they're minor ones which can be sorted in no time Nitpick!

Rabbit wrote:
For many hours, the Jews had been plunged into darkness on a train. Their only useful sense was smelling, but all they would be able to smell would be a wretched aroma of urine, feces and body odour. Their eyes would only be able to see faint, grey faces staring back at them. Their ears would only be able to hear the rattling of the train, up against the rusty railway tracks beneath them.

Right - I don't get this paragraph. The second sentance has been written all wrong. Perhpas try to reword it something like this: Their only useful sense was that of smell, but all they were able to smell was the wretched aroma of feces and body odour. How's that? I don't understand your use of "Would" - it's a weird and unnessasary tense change. Just stick to "were". This is actually a sentence I changed twice when typing it up. I really struggled and was going to take it out at one point. I'll take your version of it into account, thanks <3

A diminutive child with large, pointy ears sat in the corner of their carriage, warily eyeballing the strangers who he was sharing it with. He was with his family, who of course he was familiar with, but there was only four of them, and around him there were six or seven strangers. They all looked terribly old and sick. One woman, whose face was not grey, but a evident white, looked incredibly weak and had begun wheezing above the rattling of the train. When I put around, I meant a rough number. As in, there's around 15 billion people in the world. I wanted to make it seem so dark that he couldn't even tell how many people were around him. But I think your way does make the sentence structure make a little more sense and strengthen it some more.

(Thoughts should be in italics) I was wondering about that, I thought I might get told in a review not to. Thanks for clearing that up C: Don’t let who take it off me, ? Shmuel thought. He always took father’s words into account though and immediately removed one of his size one shoes. He was just about to remove his wind-up watch when the carriage doors were thrown open and they were exposed to the blinding daylight. Upon seeing what the Jewish child was doing, one of the soldiers, who was wearing heavy, mainly green clothing and a smooth, ball-shaped hat, dragged him out with brute force.

“Drop it!” He spat in his face, with absolutely no respect whatsoever. Shmuel was completely dazed, : he had just seen daylight for the first time in hours and now a stranger was telling him to drop his beloved watch?

Papa and Mama and his brother and the six or seven others (I have inserted so many ands on purpose. When John Boyne does it, for me, the repetition makes it seem like there’s more of them. Therefore, I inserted so many ands to make the carriage seem more crowded. Tell me if it worked, or if I should just use commas,) The Ands are fine That's good, I'll definitely be keeping them in due to the feedback. Shmuel didn’t know all departed from the cart. Along with Shmuel himself. He cast his eyes upon the millions of other people all being loaded off of the train.

This was, all-in-all, a wonderful beginning. I hope this review was helpful and I can't wait to read more!
~ Alia

This review was really, really helpful and it was an extreme self-esteem boost. It's made me smile, and I now intend on making this into a fanfic novel.

Wow! This is brilliant! I love The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas, so this was an instant read for me. I just want to say, you captured the mood and the feel of the holocaust, to get everything right and make us feel for them is quite hard, but you did it really well!

Papa and Mama and his brother and the six or seven others

The ands are perfectly OK here. Good job!

but an evident white

Remember the whole 'an' and 'a' rule we learnt as a kid
There aren't many mistakes, but i think you should check some of your sentences, some don't seem to flow very well...

He was with his family, who of course he was familiar with, but there was only four of them, and around six or seven strangers.
This sentence seems to need something doing to it, judging from the feedback. I'll most definitely

I think here, it would be better like:
He was with his family - the only four familiar faces - and around six or seven strangers.
But i don't know, you might want to ignore that suggestion.
Other than that, this is really good! I loved it and i'd love to see another chapter! I'll hopefully make one :D!
Well done!

MysticalBlood

Thanks for the lovely reviews up to now, everybody. Your support is appreciated. You've all given me a self-esteem boosts and I really intend on making another chapter.
--Brian Littrell.

"You may deem me romantic, my dear sister, but I bitterly feel the want of a friend."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein