z

Young Writers Society

Because I'm a Christian

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 pm
mellophone7 says...

Wow. I really love this. I know this isn't much of a review, but I just need to say that I really like it. Great job!
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean." -Robert Louis Stevenson
"Write or die trying."
JA hatar pisanje.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Fri May 06, 2011 1:49 am
Formslipper says...

I read it. Actually, I don't have much time because I'm away from my computer and using my Dad's iPad, so my response won't be as up to par as my usual responses to segments like these :)

So, you wrote a religious poem on a non-religious site. Props for that. I don't think people judge Christians except for being judgmental. You follow? In other words, Christians started it, so don't ever be arrogant.

My only criticism is that your poem is, in essence, universal. Everyone suffers under judgment, and many Christians think of themselves as getting the brunt of everyone else's hatred. The ones not under Christ's hand are the true sufferers. They don't know the Redeemer; they are without the Truth. So, I don't think you captured the joy it is to be saved from Hell. You only outlined the grief it is to be accosted for our singularity.

Overall, though, you're very audacious, so keep walking in the Light, and know the joy it is to be redeemed. No one can persecute you, because "to live is Christ and to die is gain."

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri May 06, 2011 2:14 am
shiney1 says...

@Formslipper

I know Christians started it, as I said before, but not everyone is at fault. My aim was not to capture joy. The only aim was to express my feelings about another aspect about Christianity: being persecuted. People say we have no right to say we are persecuted but it does happen and I have felt it many times. Jesus even said true Christians will be persecuted, maybe not stoned or anything, but people will hate them and be nasty because of what they believe.
This poem is not about being saved and feeling "sorry" for people. It is about what I felt in my heart at the time.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Fri May 06, 2011 3:33 am
Jashael says...

Hi, Shiney! Glad to read this poem. I really liked the simplicity of this, with three line stanzas, and the rhyming. (Yours and floor are familiar. Oh yes, I used it in this song. Isn't that a cool rhyming?) I really like the first part. It seems to be really saying something. The first four stanzas got me.

Just because I'm a Christian
Doesn't mean I'm better than you,
Or that my life is worth more than yours

Doesn't mean I can trample you,
Walk all over you as I do to the floor.

Doesn't mean I should condemn you,
Whenever I don't agree with what you do

Doesn't mean I have the right
To scoff and spit and throw insults at you.

They were real. True.

But when it came to the fifth stanza. That was what kind of bothered me. To me, it came of sounding as pitiful. Not that I disagree, it just seemed like that. OK, stating these truths are fine. But it seems like the ending didn't sound like a punch. So, I was hoping for a punch, that's why. Maybe I wanted to hear a smoother end. I guess, there was something that I wanted resolved. Maybe it was because of the title. It didn't seem to revolve around it. Not that it's not related in some way. I just think you could have added more stanzas to this showing others more of your belief.

I'm not making much sense, am I? If not, please do message me. I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have after reading this.

Keep writing!

Jash ♥
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Fri May 06, 2011 4:15 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Hey Shiney! I'm not really one for reviewing poetry, but I had to leave a comment here!

This is a great poem; technical-wise, I love the simplicity of the structure, and the repetition of the first line, and the overall rhythm. It has a very easy flow and I love the way you've made it feel...comforting to read. I hope that makes sense, but I can't really describe it any other way. I don't feel like you're preaching at me, or sounding angry or annoyed -- you just sound peaceful and happy with who you are and your beliefs, and I love that!

As for the content itself, it's beautiful. You touch on so many subjects that are of issue with Christians, and you do so in a non-confrontational way. You simply state your side and do so in a manner that is humble and yet strong. Honestly, I don't have anything to criticize; you blended the gentleness with the confidence in Christ, and I love it! Thank you so much for writing this beautiful poem and sharing it with us.

Keep up the great work! Cheers. (:
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri May 06, 2011 10:44 am
shiney1 says...

Oh thank guys! *hugs*
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri May 06, 2011 3:31 pm
LookUpThere says...

Just a question, what was the aim of this poem?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri May 06, 2011 5:08 pm
Blue18 says...

It's a really nice poem. I enjoyed reading it. Keep righting!

Random avatar

Reviews: 88
Sat May 07, 2011 12:13 am
Doxie00 says...

Yep...I liked this poem...liked it alot ! I also liked the repetition at the beginning of each stanza. Keep it up, it was a lovely read. And yeah...i also feel the same way ! -__-

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat May 07, 2011 5:08 am
Chelseam2 says...

AMEN, my sister in Christ.
~Chelseam2

Insane, and, ba-da-ba-ba-ba, I'm lovin' it!

Reviews: 2
Sat May 07, 2011 10:20 am
TigerLily says...

This was very interesting. I like the way you set it out but i love what it was about. My boyfriend and most of my friends are deeply christian, but i'm not. So it reflects the way we treat each other, respect my views and i'll respect yours. Keep up the good work. :)
Won't You Take My Place?
Burn Your name In The Sky
Will You Call To Me?
Just In Memory

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun May 08, 2011 1:16 pm
Catri says...

Doesn't mean it's okay to mock my beliefs,
Or to call them and my God stupid

Doesn't mean I'm a punching bag,
Or am here to get bashed over the head.

Doesn't mean I'm like the others,
Whom you judge at first glance

Doesn't mean you should forget I'm human,
And also deserve to have a chance.

It was definitely refreshing to hear something more positive about religion :) I'm a practicing Catholic myself and many people ask me why I believe, or simply ask me why I do believe, when there's no proof. It's good knowing there are other people who take my beliefs seriously xD My four favourite stanzas are those above. It's so true. You either get judged, told your God is stupid or somebody believes you think you're better than them and so they're simply not going to bother with you.

You've highlighted some really good points here and the writing flows well too. It is simple but effective and that is why I love it.
You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Reviews: 0
Sun May 08, 2011 1:34 pm
star12 says...

i like your poem and agree with it and i think if you use I am instead of I'm it will make your words more powerful but other than that i think you should keep it the way it is

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun May 08, 2011 7:52 pm
92nida says...

Wow! That was beautiful! And your thoughts were very well balanced! That was excellent. And the your notice and fullness must be appreciated.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun May 08, 2011 10:42 pm
View Likes
KCunder says...

I LOVE thi poem. I really expresses the heart and feelings. I am a christian too, so tha tis good! :D I feel the same way in parts of the poem, just so you know you aren't writing this for you, your writing this for you brother's and sisters of the lord. Which is true, Good and true poem! Keep writing, from the heart, 'cause your really, really,really good at it!
~KC Under~ Unique- not weird ;D

I have writer's block. I can't write. It is the will of the gods. Now, I must alphabetize my spice rack.
— Neil Gaiman