z

Young Writers Society

Because I'm a Christian

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 am
shiney1 says...

I wasn't sure to put this under Lyric or Dramatic Poetry, so sorry if it does not fit :)
This piece was written from my heart, critique is welcome and I hope you enjoy

Just because I'm a Christian
Doesn't mean I'm better than you,
Or that my life is worth more than yours

Doesn't mean I can trample you,
Walk all over you as I do to the floor.

Doesn't mean I should condemn you,
Whenever I don't agree with what you do

Doesn't mean I have the right
To scoff and spit and throw insults at you.

Doesn't mean I'm a jerk,
Or cares nothing about how others feel

Doesn't mean I have to turn the other cheek
When it hasn't had enough time to heal.

Doesn't mean it's okay to mock my beliefs,
Or to call them and my God stupid

Doesn't mean I'm a punching bag,
Or am here to get bashed over the head.

Doesn't mean I'm like the others,
Whom you judge at first glance

Doesn't mean you should forget I'm human,
And also deserve to have a chance.

Thank you for taking the time to read such a long poem :)

"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Wed May 04, 2011 1:46 am
View Likes
qaralynn says...

hellloow shiney :)
I love this poem..as you already know XD I really don't have any criticism for you.. :)
I think a lot of christians can relate to this..especially the part about being judged for something someone else did..
nice work!!
-qaralynn-
"If they can't be with you at your worst, then they don't deserve to be with you at your best."
-Murtuza-

"Even though a ship won't sink at sea, it needs to be steered to get home."

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed May 04, 2011 1:52 am
Cole says...

I LOVE IT! You breathed the essence of Christianity :)

Keep writing! I loved this!

~H. C. Smith

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Wed May 04, 2011 2:30 am
View Likes
XxMattxX says...

Lovely poem.
Very well-written!
Beautiful concept and full of truth. Everyone needs to read this.

Favorite Stanza Below...

*Doesn't mean it's okay to mock my beliefs,

* For those who lack respect and a sense of decency.
Lovely and well-written concept.

I find it funny that when a Christian wants to say something, everyone shuts them up, but when any other person has something to say- they say it ( especially when it mocks the former).
Thank you for addressing that issue. "Saved" or not, Christians are still just humans. I love you, sis.

Keep writing!
---------------------
It's actually a breathe of fresh air to have people say POSITIVE things about my religion for once. I guess most just don't get it, and you, my dear sister, have done it justice!

-Jojo
Last edited by XxMattxX on Wed May 04, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed May 04, 2011 2:48 am
HIGHWHITESOCKS says...

Looooooooooooooooooooooove this poem! It's absolutely inspiring and soul-touching! :D I'm a very observant and practicing Cristian, and I'm so so so glad to read this poem! It's so true, and so emotional! I don't know if it's just me because I sympathize, but I really feel so connected to this poem here.

Doesn't mean I'm a jerk,
Or cares nothing about how others feel

This is a really powerful passage. It's a good denouncing of the horrible stereotype that we as Christians unfortunately have to bear in the eyes of society. I'm so tired of people thinking I must necessarily act a certain way or believe a certain thing because of my faith. Thank you so much for writing this poem. I can see the light of God within you, and you exemplify His children very well :D

Doesn't mean it's okay to mock my beliefs,

Doesn't mean I'm a punching bag,
Or am here to get bashed over the head.

Another thing I don't like is when people laugh at everything I believe, call my faith stupid, and don't respect my views. I mean, I can handle jokes about religion, but I draw the line when you make religion a joke. Sure, I can laugh at myself, everyone has to. But people have to realize that we feel strongly about our beliefs, just as they do, and we should be respected just as much for it. Again, very good words to express a wonderful view. :)

Doesn't mean I'm like the others,
Whom you judge at first glance

Doesn't mean you should forget I'm human,
And also deserve to have a chance.

I absolutely adore the ending. Especially the last two lines there. We deserve just as much of a chance as anyone for our beliefs, and should be treated so! :D

This poem has wonderful imagery, creative language, a good rhyme scheme, and a powerful message. I love it so much! Thank you for writing this. Everyone who identifies as Christian or has met a Christian should read this. Well, if you ever want another review, or advice, or would like to discuss anything, please feel free to drop me a line :)
- SOCKS
Would you kindly?

Reviews: 1
Wed May 04, 2011 3:27 am
Tatishka says...

I really love this poem (and I don't really like poems)
And I like the part that you said you're not a punching bag. LOVE IT! :D

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed May 04, 2011 3:43 am
psudiname says...

I particularly enjoyed this poem. I'm sure you can guess why. Yep, I'm a Christian too! Anyone who is a Christian or has come into contact with them will be able to relate to at least part of this, but as a Christian who resents the bad name some people give us, I can relate to all of it. What I like most about the poem is that it adresses both sides of the spectrum. For instance, many Christians talk about how persecuted they are, and many athiests talk about how much Christians look down on them, but few people can find the middle ground, and say that Christans shouldn't be persecuted, nor should they act high and mighty. One of the biggeset problems I've found is that people turn away from God not because they don't like Christianity, but because they don't like the Christians they meet who look down on them. Because of this, we take a lot of flak from those people because we get grouped in with the false Christians. I'm glad to see someone who understands this issue, and uses their prowess at poetry (at which I'm hopeless) to adress it. Glory to Christ!
your brother,
---Psudiname
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 am
Paracosm says...

Hmmm.... Can't say anything as far as editing goes! Good job! Loved this poem! Very much the truth! I am Christian as well ;D!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed May 04, 2011 6:23 am
View Likes
pen says...

Very nicely-written. I'm not a Christian myself, although I do appreciate Christ and what he represents. I can be pretty cynical about Christianity, but I have to remember that there are many thoughtful Christians, like you. I had myself baptized when I was 12, but I've come to resent the attitudes that move around in the church where I was baptized. Mind you, there are other churches, and I've met several ministers who have thoughtful, insightful things to say. Hm. Maybe I should actually give sunday morning service another chance... If it wasn't so dang early in the morning... You've covered a broad range of experience, and it's quite relevant stuff... a publishable poem, I think. Have you thought of approaching the United Church Observer, or other Christian publications? Perhaps you should.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed May 04, 2011 8:49 am
Jennya says...

Nice, I quite like this poem. The repartition is nice but is of the prefaces of being over done, but it not there yet so it.s okay. I really felt your emotion coming thought. In general it was a nice and simple poem. I usually hate poems about religion but this was quite pleasant. The more I read it the more I like it.

You seemed to be well balanced in your beliefs. But you must accept the fact that not everybody is. That some Christians do think they are better than everybody else. Just like some other non-religious people think they are better than you.

In the scope of things Christians are not the victims, they stopped being the under dog when they over threw Rome and turned it in to the ' Holy Roman Empire' almost 2000 years ago.

Any way, great job.
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed May 04, 2011 9:42 am
Amberla93 says...

You did an amazing job of expessing what so many of us feel.. I loved the part about us only being human.. No, I loved the whole thing! Great job! Thank you for writing this, and thank you for posting it!!
Life is short, so make the best of the time you have!

182 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 am
shiney1 says...

Thank you all so much for your reviews and likes!
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am
magpie0817 says...

All I can say is: YES! I'm a strong Christian and I can't tell you how many times others have given me weird looks for it, or excluded me from doing something just because they didn't think I'd want to because of my beliefs, and even my good friends judge me for it. I'm glad there seems to be others like me out there :)
bring peace, give love, accept life
☮☮☮☮
-Magpie-

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed May 04, 2011 1:24 pm
Caerulean says...

Nice poem! ^_^ It is very true and pure and I can see nothing wrong with it. I hope all the other people in the world can get this message. It's really worth reading. :) My question is why you didn't put periods at the end of the other verses. Anyway, I have one sort of problem here: I can't relate much. o.o Don't get me wrong! I'm also a Christian and I agree with everything in the poem. But, in my position as a Christian, I'm not completely certain as to whom the target reader/s is/are, except other Christians of course. I think that it's because in my country (Philippines), the majority is Christian (there are only various denominations) and I hardly experience or even heard of such an issue occurring, which is being misjudged by other people.

Nevertheless, nice job! The wording is simple and easily understandable, which makes it easier for readers to relate. :smt023 I think the little bits of imagery are enough too. It isn't actually that necessary, but I think that it'll be better and easier to connect to if there were a few more imageries in it. (But, I admit, I'm not good at imagery xD)

Never stop writing! :D I hope I made sense in my review xD.
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

182 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2011 3:52 pm
shiney1 says...

Thank you all for your reviews!

@ Whisperer
My target audience is to everyone, Christians and non-Christians. Oh, and misjudgement happens a lot in others places of the world, especially where there are diverse religions and when Christians misrepresent Christ. I did not put periods at the end of some stanzas because the next stanza would rhyme with it.

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green