z

Young Writers Society

Searching for colours

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:43 am
Blossom says...

Narrow-minded I shall never be;
black and white I won't ever see through.
Grey inbetween many find comfort;
but I cannot live in such a misty haze.

I search for colours;
the rosy-reds on the cheeks of laughter,
the golden twinkle of the sun up high,
the glistening silver shimmers,
across the ocean below the stars,
and the breathtaking soft pink
shading the sky as we greet darkness.

I search for colours;
the tranquil blues of the trickling streams,
the blazing orange of the raging fires,
the light brown of the rocking-horse,
still swaying with childhood memories,
and the luminous yellow of the fire-crackers
lighting up with the laughter around the camp-fire.

It is the colours I search for.
I gamble that it is there,
I shall find the joy in life.

Reviews: 4
Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:52 pm
TheRose says...

That's a really good poem here! It "rings" good, you use very beautiful words, but most of all I loved the message that goes out to the reader. I agree with your point of view so I could say I like it very much. Keep up the good work!:D
there's a feeling I get when I look to the west, and my spirit is crying for leaving.

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:36 pm
barefootrunner says...

I liked the poem's metaphorical base, the stanzas were good, but the first stanza bothered me. The word order was switched around. I'm sure you had your reasons for doing that, but when I read it, it felt too old-fashioned and melodramatic. The rest of the poem was good, though. The way in which you matched colours to scenes, objects and emotions was great. Keep going, I like it!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:24 pm
nyiiri says...

Hi!
I really liked your poem. I could feel the desire to find joy in the beauty that is surrounds us. I liked the use of colours too. All in all I didn't see anything wrong with your poem.
Love is patient and kind. It does not envy nor boast, it is not proud. It doesn't dishonor others, it is not self-seeking nor easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres. Love never fails.

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 pm
dogs says...

Hey Blossom! Dogs here for your review! I really liked this piece, it has a nice flow to it and i like the idea of searching for colors. I don't know if i am crazy (which i am) or just stupid (which i also am) because i don't know what "colours" means. Did you mean "colors" because that would make more sense lol. Anywho! I also enjoy the strong metaphor you revolve this poem around. It reminds me of Death in the book "The Book Thief". Really my only criticism is that when you say:

"Across the ocean below the stars,"

This line would sound soooo much better if you put in "skies" instead of "stars" because "skies" rhymes with high and it would make this stanza flow a lot better.

Well apart from that this is good and i like it, keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro