z

Young Writers Society

You Are Like A Riddle to Me

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:07 pm
Jessa says...

Spoiler! :
Haven't posted anything in a while. I just haven't written anything good I guess. So help me out with this! (Feel free to give me title suggestions too) Thanks!

You are like a riddle to me,
a code that I cannot crack.
Your many suppressed emotions,
covered by a veil of black.

You submerge into solitude,
become a living reaper.
Coming here just to escape from,
the devil, your soul’s keeper

Your vessel has sailed out to sea,
so distant from the safe shore.
Leaving you with time to wonder.
why doesn’t my life mean more?

It does, it could, just try to see,
take off the concealed armet.
This life shouldn’t be spent alone,
break free from your deep casket.

Surrender me the ridged key,
I won’t tell a single soul.
Since something about you tells me,
you’re deeper than a black hole.
Love is like a butterfly, it settles upon you when you least expect it.
Drew Marrymore

~Jessa~

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm
LemonyIce says...

Hey Jessa! HPR here! :D

I really liked your poem a lot. Your rhyme scheme was consistent, the poem flowed very well and I could relate to the concept too! Your beginning stanza and ending stanzas were very good. I don't have any critiques because I think your poem was beautiful and perfect just the way you wrote it. Sorry if I wasn't much help. :D My favourite stanza was this one:

become a living reaper.
the devil, your soul’s keeper.

It had a certain something that really drew me in and I really liked it because of that. This wasn't a review, just a comment. :DAs for your title, I think it's fine. The whole poem is amazing just the way it is. :D

~HPR~
I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 pm
AliyahPillage says...

I like the poem other than I didn't quit understand it, maybe it's the language that was used but other than that I loved it
Wo Ai Ni (I Love You) Jessicarlie Love

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:22 pm
tinkembell says...

Hey Jessa!

First off, I think that this is an awesome poem XD. It has an air of mystery, some sort of soft secret that I shouldn't be hearing >.>. It really drew me in, and with each stanza I wanted to know more. You're word choices were brilliant, and really added to the theme.I especially loved the last stanza, it was just... <3. I thought it was a really good ending, and kind of beautiful. The overall idea is really interesting and in no means cliche, so that's good. For the title, I think that the one you have is just fine, but it could be better. If you really want to change it, I always try to piece words from the poem together, so you could have 'unsolved riddle' 'suppressed emotions' or 'surrender me' for example ;).

Onto the critique!

1) In the first stanza, I think it would flow much better if you added 'are' before te first word of the last line, so it becomes 'are covered by a veil of black'.

2) In the second stanza, it would sound much better if you changed 'become' to becoming, or put an 'and' before become.

3) In the last line of the same stanza, I think you should change your comma to a '-'. You also need a full stop/period at the end. (so it looks like 'the devil - your soul's keeper.'

4) I think the last line of the third stanza would be better reworded as 'why my life doesn't mean more'. If you did, I believe you would need to get rid of the question mark.

Overall, I really loved this poem!

Keep up the writing,

~Tinkem
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:55 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

There's something really mysteriously compelling about this poem. I like the way you intertwine the ideas, and really my one critical thought here is just that it doesn't flow *quite* as well as it could, or at least I couldn't find a steady rhythm to it, but all the same, I thought this was really well-written and definitely interesting.
Keep writing!
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 pm
Audy says...

Jessa,

I kind of like this, in the sense that I can really get and understand the emotions, there's definitely a connection with the reader here. I also like a lot of your word-choices and I totally like what it is you're trying to say. I think the idea behind this is great, just that it needs quite a bit of revising and polishing (doesn't everything?)

For one, I get this vague awareness of imagery, but before it goes deeper - it gets didactic. Refrain from "telling" too much in poetry, I understand the speaker is talking about the ways of a person, but an image says a thousand words, right? Sensory details allow for the reader to really experience the poem - to see, taste, hear, and smell it - it's what makes a poem memorable and immediately tangible.

Now, the second thing I'd like to suggest is to veer away from rhyme. It just sounds too forced for me. Try to experiment with free-verse, because I feel if you have something to say - then free-verse is a great option to get the message across without having to limit yourself. Rhyme is just a gimmick. You can create beautiful sounds without having to resort to rhyme.

You are like a riddle to me,
a code that I cannot crack.
Your many suppressed emotions,
covered by a veil of black.

The first two lines say the same thing as the last two. I prefer the last, because it has more imagery. The first two lines just reiterate what you have in your title anyway, which is not at all a bad title in my opinion. I know you were wondering about that.

become a living reaper.
the devil, your soul’s keeper

Last two lines are just weak/forced. I think we all know who the devil is. That being said, the strength of the first two lines is apparent. I mean, the imagery it creates is great, and the sounds, submerge/solitude ...living reaper, are fantastic. I'm seeing a pattern here. It's almost like, you write the first two lines based on what it is you want to say, and the next two lines based on what will fit to rhyme the piece xD All of that just becomes wasted words though. Remember, poetry is economical. The more you can say with less words, the better! And if you're saying the same thing over and over -- scratch it out!

Your vessel has sailed out to sea,
so distant from the safe shore.
Leaving you with time to wonder.
why doesn’t my life mean more?

This is where I say it gets didactic. i love the image of the vessel sailing out to see, but by telling me directly how this image relates to the poem with the "why doesn't my life mean more" line - it's like I'm being spoonfed a message, rather than allowing me to work out the poem for myself.

The next stanza I would just delete. Nothing new here.

Surrender me the ridged key,
I won’t tell a single soul.
Since something about you tells me,
you’re deeper than a black hole.

Meh. I like the first two lines, the last two are alright except it's just taking the same idea from the beginning stanza and title but repeated in different words.

I hope this helps. I know I've been tough and nitpicky, but believe me if I didn't do this for the sake of salvaging the treasures in this. I'm a big fan of dark and mysterious imagery in poetry, so I'm not going to lie and say I didn't enjoy this regardless. ;)

~ as always, Audy

Why is my dog your fig father????
— JazzElectrobass