I find I can swim again
when you grab my hand,
you pull me in close
until my feet touch the sand.

I know it’s not forever,
but just for tonight
It’s me and it’s you,
the music and strobe lights.
"Books are the ultimate dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they will always love you back." John Green

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." Stephen Chbosky

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:09 pm
SwallowedByInsanity says...

This poem was beautiful, I loved every line! I could see no awkward phrasing and it had a flow that made me want to sing it like a pop song (:
I almost wish you transformed this poem into the lyrics of song, because I could definitely see it as such. Anyway, I haven't much else to say besides the fact that your imagery was impeccable and I could picture the club you were talking about in my mind, which is something every writer desires for. Keep writing :D
Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote.

The insanity at my fingertips is not even slightly coherent.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Hi Anna! I'm here to review "Drowning in the Crowd" :)

As foreshadowed by the smiley, I like your poem. You went through a timeline of events wherein love, music and theoretically speaking, swimming mixed into one influx of imagery and creativity. I also like that you found inspiration in a different place compared to other poets.

I did notice some stuff though...
About the first stanza of your poem:

My heart thudding to the beat of the song,
bodies thriving under strobe lights,
a million people screaming lyrics,
“Because it’s all about tonight!”.

The third and second verses talks about the crowd and how they are pumped up. These two go greatly together. But the first line is solely about you. And so having it alone up there really doesn't comfort me. :(

I find I can swim again
when you grab my hand,
you pull me in close
until my feet touch the sand.

This stanza is packed with emotion :D ! Unfortunatley though, the first time I read it, I didn't understand it becasue it lacks a bit of transition. First you were in the concert then at the beach. I would really appreciate it if you add some kind of transition like you felt something and closed your eyes, and when you opened it, you were in the beach.

As the song draws to a close,
the crowd turns to waves,
the tide dragging me from a moment
that I wanted to save.

and

I know it’s not forever,
but just for tonight
It’s me and it’s you,
the music and strobe lights.

are my favorite stanzas :) ! It tells so much about how one three minute song give away such a moment that you want to take hold of it, because when the music ends, it will be gone. But you concluded in the last stanza that your love will never end :) . I also liked the richness of words and the flow of text in these stanzas :) .

That's all, I think. Good like writing more poems!
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:18 pm
Blankmind says...

If I had to rate this out of 10, I'd probably give it like a 6.5 or something a bit higher.

I rated it what it is because I think it was a bit too simple, for me. I think you could have been a bit more descriptive in your writing, but hey, it gets the point across. :) But, I do like how you use music to describe your emotions for your boyfriend. I really like music, and I also think it was a great way to show feelings, which a lot of music expresses.

Overall, I think it was good, and maybe you can improve on what I said. I don't really care if you don't because one, it's your choice, and two, I'm not an expert.

Write on!

You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling