arch angel says...

The Vampire

His heart throbs, his stomach aches
His eyes a cold dead gray
His face so pale you see right through
He emerges in silence
Lurking in the shadows stalking you
Always watching always near
For you are his victim, his food, his prey.
There is no escape.
Your destiny is unknown. He may take your life or give you eternal.
He is an immortal, damned by life.
He’ll live forever feeding on the innocent.
Rest in the day, hunt in the night.
Day after day the same routine:
Sleep, feed, and dream of being a mere mortal yet again.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:26 pm
Wolf says...

arch angel ---

Please don't submit more than one story per day, okay? People get annoyed when the forums are all clogged with your work. Although I am quite envious of the number of reviews that your work is getting. :P

The same goes for this as for 'My Hearts Home'. You have some okay imagery here but nothing interesting, I'm sorry to say. You need metaphors.

Also, this is a rather cliched theme. Vampires are so overused and abused these days by Fantasy and Romance writers...*shakes head wisely*. xD

This suffers from the same problem as your other work. What does this do for the reader? It doesn't make me feel afraid - actually, it didn't make me feel anything at all. Consider what you want your reader's reaction to be before you post, and your work will be much better.

Happy Editing,
Camille
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:13 am
kittykat says...

I'm not very good at giving reviews... but I wish this poem was a bit longer, still an excellent piece of work though!
Our happiness here is all vain glory,
This false world is but transitory,
The flesh is weak, the Fiend is slee
Timor mortis conturbat me.
--William Dunbar

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:18 am
kioneslayer says...

Deary, I love vampires, honestly I do. So i thought I'd fall in love with this piece, but I didn't.

Use your own beliefs about the vampire and put more....'Oomph' into the work. Use similies to make the reader think of a mental image. I didn't at all for this. I was a zombie because it was dreadful when it came to images.
"The Circle of Rising!" Alita shreeked while looking down at the circle with a seven-pointed star with a rose in it. The star's points touched the edge of the chircle while the rose almost seemed to drift in the middle. ~The Alchemy Child

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:15 am
Demonangel42 says...

I agree it should have been longer and have something that other people wouldn't put down. But i liked it.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 pm
Twit says...

Basically, this was rather weak. It's flat. What is there to this that makes it special? What's to distinguish it from the ten million other stories and poems about vampires out there?

This is a list of ideas about vampires, and they're all very well known ones. Grey - pale - lurking in the shadows - hiding in the trash can, waiting to jump out and make you scream. Red and black, slimy green.

However, the last line showed promise:

Day after day the same routine:
Sleep, feed, and dream of being a mere mortal yet again.

That bit was good.

I'm not trying to be harsh, and please don't get crushed. As ole Ben Franklin said, "Those things that hurt, instruct." At least, I think it was Franklin. :roll: Vampires are a very delicate subject to write about; you have to tread carefully, mainly because there's so many other stories swimming about out there in the wide, wide world. And lots of them are filled with cliches. Try to avoid the Bela Lugosi image and go for something new. But don't steal my ideas. :razz:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:06 pm
ConorR says...

nice poem te
but the only problem is that the vampire is now too much like a streotype
he has no life he has no felling that sort of thing
overwise very good
keep up the good work

Conor
It's priest have a little priest

Reviews: 4
Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:04 am
vmprnekos says...

i'm afraid i have to agree with kioneslayer
it lacks emphisis
it's a wonderful piece of work though, i enjoyed reading it
-Lex
Sorry is an empty word when you don't mean it

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:24 am
View Likes
BellaLuna says...

(Forgive me...I'm not so great at this review business.)

I enjoyed your poem. My favorite part was:

He emerges in silence
Lurking in the shadows stalking you
Always watching always near

Very creepy! I actually got a few chills when I read that. I'm used to reading about good vampires (Twilight series!), so it's a bit scary to read about the more typical, evil vampires.

The one thing I would change is this:

He may take your life or give you eternal.
He is an immortal, damned by life.

The repetition of the word "life" is a bit awkward. It just makes those two lines not flow as smoothly as they could.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:14 am
J.C. Belding says...

This is too short for my tastes and quite cliche. Try to make your poem longer, more meaningfull, and more unique. There is lots of potential in it though, and I'm sure you can make it much better.
"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."-Alexander the Great

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes