Ripping the wind and
Distorting the breeze.

Ten hit a soldier,
An enemy,
And betrayer.
He falls, blood soaking his chest,
Like a disease,
Or a virus.
Dripping, it spreads rapidly to the floor.
His friends fall around him,
Like skittles,
Like cannon-fodder.

Bodies turn to graves and graves turn to dust,
Wild plants, twisting and turning,
As war twists and turns
Leaves lost,
And soldiers lost,
New stem,
And new advances.
Retreats,
Skirmishes,
Infantry,
And territory.

Etched out,
In graves,
In plants,
In the shape of the world.
Last edited by Napier on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:00 pm
HorsebackWriter says...

I liked this, I fell it captured the feelings of those who were in those wars or those who can remember them. However, it's very raw, you may want to change some of your wording, and add 'and' in some places to make it smoother. Overall, you can see I didn't have to nitpick anything, so I have to say good job!
"So it all comes down to this, doesn't it? Does the wand in your hand know it's last master was Disarmed? Beacause if it does...I am the true master of the Elder Wand."

"And quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."

~Harry Potter

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:18 am
Napier says...

Thanks a lot, man.
I agreed with you on the "and" front, a few of those would definitely make it smoother, thanks. :)
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 pm
gleek456 says...

Hi there!
I like your poem! It reminds me of the Beatles song, "Strawberry Fields Forever". It gives me that sorrow feeling, kust thinking about the death of all the soldiers, and how their families are going to have to deal and live without them. Awesome job and keep it up!

- gleek456 <3
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:46 am
MamaLama95 says...

Too short, and painfully concise - it was a nice idea, but you didn't make it work perfectly well. I could suggest you do something about the one-liners, but to be honest I don't have any constructive criticism to present you with. It did have a lot emotion, but I feel you could have put it across in a more efficient way. Keep working, you've got the head for writing.
Being children of a cruel reality, we fall prey to the greater powers.
To envy.
To madness.
Betrayal.
Love.
And yet without these things, we cannot remain human. Without these things, we are nothing.
But it is the greatest sacrifice. To envy. To be mad. To betray. To love.
To be human.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:30 pm
Napier says...

Thanks- my allegiance really lies with story telling in prose; this was simply scribbled for an English assignment, but your words are both helpful and encouraging. :)
― Stephen King

― Stephen King

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:21 pm
View Likes
Skay13 says...

Hey,
I really liked this. You don't find many works like this. You showed lots of raw emotion, which I love. Maybe you could have used the word 'and' to make it flow a little more. Grammar was good, and overall I really liked reading it. :)

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:33 pm
Ghost42 says...

This poem has all the qualities of an amazing poem: raw emotion, a good word flow (though that could use a tiny bit of work), it captures the essecense of the war, the grammer was good, you captured every point from the bullet leaving the barrel and shells clinking on the ground to the point where the graves are a mear part of history and nothing more. There was nothing I didn't like, it was a very, very good poem and I would recomend it to anyone.
If there is one thing I never go anywhere without, it's my pencil.
Another thing, if schools don't allow wepons, then why do they allow pens? Because, if the pen is mighter than the sword, doesn't that mean the pen is a wepon too?

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)