z

Young Writers Society

Once Upon a December

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:35 am
dogs says...

Ho ho ladies and gentleman I am proud to present to you for your delectation and edification my newest piece of poetry. So funny story i based this entire poem off of one short song from my favorite animated movie with the best singing EVER! See if you can figure it out, not that hard, but see if you can do it anyways. I also drew a couple lines in the first stanza from my favorite poet ever from my favorite poem ever. I'll give you a hint: midnight dreary, bleak december, dying ember. If you can figure that out props to you! HAPPY READING! :D

Once upon a december,
There is something I must remember.
On a midnight dreary,
There was something dark and eerie.
Something in that bleak december,
Things I just can't remember.

Somebody held me safe and tight,
Butterflies flew through a silent night.
Someone was waltzing gracefully
Across my memory.

Once upon a December,
memories dim as a dying ember.
Things my heart used to know,
Things I almost remember.

Dancing shadows glimmer and glow,
On the marble floor down below.
Flickering ghosts turn to laugh,
At the dancing figures of my past.

Long ago, far away
Oh once upon a december.

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Last edited by dogs on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 am
View Likes
Euhuman says...

I don't know but it reminds me of Stopping by The Woods on a Snowy Evening, by the very great Robert Frost. I am not suggesting anything though, Pardonne
Nice piece, nice read

(Just a notion that the last quote by Mark Twain is actually "All generalizations are false, including this one" or you might have cut that down yourself)
Love
A Purple Daffodil
http://r2square.wordpress.com

“Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you.”

My DNA is unchallengeable,
Well.. so is yours
Bazinga !

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:16 pm
Lornydoo says...

Hello there.
This definitely has an eerie feel to it...

It's got a very good rhyming scheme ;3

Lorna
xx
I Believe That A Writers Life Is Much More Exciting Then Anyone Else's! xx

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:40 pm
Gamergirl says...

Once upon a december,There is something I must remember.On a midnight dreary,There was something dark and eerie.Something in that bleak december,Things I just can't remember.Somebody held me safe and tight,Butterflies flew through a silent night.Someone was waltzing gracefully Across my memory.Once upon a December,memories dim as a dying ember.Things my heart used to know,Things I almost remember. Dancing shadows glimmer and glow,On the marble floor down below. Flickering ghosts turn to laugh,At the dancing figures of my past. Long ago, far away Oh once upon a december.

Hello there. I enjoyed reading this but at first I thought it was that song from Anastasia, hahha. Your rhyming was good however sometimes I didn't feel that the poem kept flowing as well as it did in other parts. That's all I really have to say. Sorry that it wasn't of much use. :)

~G.G (Gamergirl)
"Is the glass half empty? Or half full?"

"Well, if I turn on the tap I can make it full!" ~ me.

662 Reviews

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:05 pm
dogs says...

Yay! Someone figured it out! So yes this poem is an adaptation of Once Upon A December from Anastasia. I encourage everyone to look up the song if your not familiar with it. This poem really makes a lot more sense if you watch the clip with the song. But still no one has figured out my favorite poet. Hmmmm lemme give you a hint:" once upon a midnight dreary while i pondered weak and weary/ over many a quaint and curious volumes of forgotten lore..." Come on guys! I argue this might be the most well known poem. Oh and referring Gamergirl's response, specifically what parts of the poem didn't flow well to you so that i could improve this. Thanks!!!

Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:44 pm
sharitm2 says...

Hi there,
What a great poem!
i love the mysteriousness of it (:
My favorite line is
"once upon a december, memories dim as a dying ember"
Excellent job with it and keep writing!
~Sharitm2
The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~Anaïs Nin

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:14 am
forgetmeknot says...

Sounds like"The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe to me...and this was so haunting...I loved it 8)

662 Reviews

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:54 am
dogs says...

forgetmeknot is a winner! Yup my favorite poet is Edgar Allen Poe and my favorite poem is the raven which i worked a little into this poem. I memorized the raven for english once. Oh yeah that was fun. Thanks for the great reviews everyone!

Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path then by all means you should follow that.
— Ellen Degeneres