z

Young Writers Society

You Fix Me

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:47 am
artsy says...

I was listening to "Iodine" by Icon For Hire while writing this, so I guess you could say that the song influenced this piece. This is probably the most uniform poem I've written that sounds halfway decent. Rip it apart! If you like it, please like it. :] Thanks for reading!

~

Stab myself with a knife,
just so you can bandage me.
Starve myself to near death,
just so you can feed me.
Catch a life-threatening disease,
just so you can bring me soup in bed.
Break my bones,
so you can set them straight.
Overdose on pills,
so you can bring me back to life.
Cry every night,
so you can wipe away my tears.
No matter what I do,
you fix me.

Get into fights,
just so you can restrain me.
Become high as a kite,
just so you can bring me back down to Earth.
Drink a little too much,
just so you can offer me your couch tonight.
Deny myself God,
so you can take me to church.
Stay under water a little too long,
so you can pull me out.
Stop breathing,
so you can resuscitate me.
No matter what I do,
you fix me.
"You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose!" - Dr. Seuss
~
Will Review For Food

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:14 am
klotrox16 says...

I thought this was a wonderful little poem with a few imperfections; corrections in red:

Starve myself to near-near death or all death? choose one extreme; "near" is too inbetween death,
just so you can feed me.
Catch a life-threatening disease,
just so you can bring me soup in bed.-this is very anit-climactic; you have these very powerful and disturbing images and then you flub them down with this lackluster line
Break my bones,
so you can set-maybe use a better word them straight.
Overdose on pills,
so you can bring me back to life.-why should they overdose when they need to bring you back to life?

Cry every night,
so you can wipe away my tears.-same goes for this one as with the line before it, it just doesn't fit I'm sorry

No matter what I do,
you fix me.

Get into fights,
just so you can restrain me.
Become high as a kite,
just so you can bring me back down to Earth.
Drink a little too much,
just so you can offer me your couch tonight.
Deny myself God,
so you can take me to church.-as with the soup line, it all goes downhill after this one

Stay under water a little-again, make it more extreme for it to be powerful too long,
so you can pull me out.
Stop breathing,
so you can resuscitate me.
No matter what I do,
you fix me.

I think the only thing I need to emphasize is at the beginning two lines it was great, but then you fell into this pattern of "do this/fall apart this way, then help me this way" and it doesn't make sense. And try not to put phrases like "a little" or "near" unless it serves a specific purpose to the tone because it disturbes the flow. Overall I liked it.
Sincerely,
Klotrox
In memory of 1411

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:00 am
IamHathor22 says...

Hey There -
I must say - I liked this. There was a lot of imagery in it - and a lot of emotion.

The rhythm was confusing, though - but for all i know that could have been the point. (Choppy, short sentences with little structure give a sinse of paranoia, some anxiety.) I am an avid rhythm tripper, Im a composer so dont get discouraged. :)

There was some serious darkness. I liked it. I have to agree with klotrox - there are some bits that don't quite carry the weight that a poem of this blackness, of this sorrow, was meant to carry. you need powerful, deep, pictures for your audience - it needs to be dramatic, seriously dramatic to be effective, and this had some wonderful imagery in it that suceeded in putting me into a sorrowful trance, but some of it is just shy of fitting.

I loved
Deny myself God,
so you can take me to church.
Stay under water a little too long,
so you can pull me out.

And

these were powerful.

I'd take most of the suggestions from klotrox to heart, but there are two I'd like to point out.
Overdose on pills,
so you can bring me back to life.-why should they overdose when they need to bring you back to life?
Cry every night,
so you can wipe away my tears.-same goes for this one as with the line before it, it just doesn't fit I'm sorry

I liked those. but - the soup. I agreed with the soup. ;)

You've got talent, artsy. Keep it up!!!

-IamHathor22
All I that know is that I know nothing
-Socrates

Want Hathor's review? Write a note on my wall. Simple as that.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:22 pm
stevensmith05 says...

I am no expert on songs but this sounds good when i was singing along :)

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris