Reviews: 745
Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:23 am
Lumi says...

These are blue words, sad songs
that men write in the snow between sips of scotch
and the hum of a lady’s voice on the radio. Man, can she sing the blues;
like a mourning bird in the early dawn, like
a whisper between cracks of thunder.
You see, this is how you write out your blues.

But no man can live by ink alone.

So say it’s the blush behind the powder, the blood behind the blush
that makes men hurt. It’s not in their hearts or their fingers,
not in their jaws or necks or backs. It’s not a pain of labor, but
a smoulder of misery beneath their eyelids
when they remember what her face looked like.

Because they’re fair angels, those singers, like sirens on the rocks.
Last edited by Lumi on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hi Lumi!

Okay, this was the best stanza of the whole poem:

It's really powerful and driving and oh-so-intense. It moves really quickly. The rest of the poem kind of dawdles around, not sure of what to do. I mean, the first stanza is rather rambly (as opposed to being hard and driving) the second stanza is kind of like, "I AM A TRANSITION TO THE COOL PART." And the last line tries to combine the cool part with the intro part, but because the intro part is kind of awkward, it doesn't really work out as well.

Anyway, trim and/or rework your first stanza and you should see things getting better. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:58 pm
View Likes
Dreamwalker says...

Just returning the favor, dear ;)

Now I was wondering when I would stumble across something along these lines from you. Not that the poem is melodramatic or anything of that general sort. Merely, you have this original flourish to every piece, and then this one was the first one to remind me of another. It connected to a prior thought, whether intentional or not, and that's kind of interesting.

You see, when I was reading this, all I could think of was lady sings the blues. Your tone, as of late, has been melancholy and directed towards love, which makes me wonder where all of this inspiration is coming (though I wouldn't necessarily put this towards a romantic form of love). It all seems to ache, and the ache sort of continues on into every piece. Its haunting.

Now, dear, there is something particular about this piece that I liked and that I didn't like. First and foremost, I liked the way you create that sort of ache without letting anything through. There is no problem, nor solution. The reason is not laid bare for us to see, and yet it clear enough to form an opinion, which is definitely interesting.

The quiet observation of this is beautiful in its simplicity.

But what I found is that, in reading that second stanza, I became unsure of whether we spoke of the woman or the man. His opinion of her, or her opinion of herself. It was all very.. cold, and sad. Which is reason enough to love the poem, but also reason enough to not know where my opinion lies as well.

In certainty, I will say that I think you are brilliant.

One nit-pick, though, I must add in would be this;

Next to the rest of the poem, these lines feel a little bit lifeless, as if the original comparisons sort of faded out and that you had so much excitement and spunk for the next stanza that you wished only to finish and introduce. Its pretty, aesthetically, but a bit superficial in retrospect.

Other than that, you're diction is superb.

Keep writing, hun. It would be a shame if you didn't.

~Walker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

92 Reviews

Reviews: 92
Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 pm
View Likes
anna91423 says...

This is so simple, yet so absoloutly perfect. I loved the line "No man can live by ink alone" I also loved how you isolated it by making it a stanza on it's own. I also liked the closing line "because they’re fair angels, those singers, like sirens on the rocks." because the references to angels and sirens made me think of old timey stories of tragedy and love, fitting perfectly with your theme. It had such an honest, melon-choly feel to it. Just beautiful. :)
"Books are the ultimate dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they will always love you back." John Green

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." Stephen Chbosky

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:09 am
View Likes
Audy says...

Luuuuuumi,

I love this piece. I think it's very blues-y, and I'm wondering if the 6/8 refers to a particular time signature (though I'm not all that adept at music, so I wouldn't know.)

I do agree that first stanza can't hold a candle to the third. Though I do love:

Not so much liking the "fair" word-choice. I feel like it'd feel/read the same if you crossed out "fair" which stands to reason that there could be so many other word-choices that can be used instead. But what I love is the "sirens on the rocks" part. That double/triple meaning of the myth reference, the disaster-sound connotation, and a good old scotch to drown your worries with. <3 Love.

Your line breaks here:

WHY break it here at all? And with inconsequential words/conjunction to boot. I can't find a reason. I'm not too big a fan of these kind of breaks, because it reads too
jagged. It's uncomfortable.

My two cents.

~ as always, Audy

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:42 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Hiya! Your poem is great, that's why I'm here!

So that's all. I liked how your words exemplified things so colorfully and imaginatively, but still staying in the emotional, frozen stage.

The only thing I noticed about this work is the length of each verse. It seems like I'm reading sentences instead of lines, see.

That's all! Good work! Keep on writing!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:09 am
dogs says...

Lumi, this was such a strong and emotional and descriptive and fantastic all around piece! I loved it so much! I loved how you used such powerful words and metaphors and everything! Just perfect in my opinion! I really liked this a lot!

Keep up the good work!!!! Happy Writing!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:08 am
View Likes
Karzkin says...

Lumilicious,

I dig it. Sort of. I really like the oh-so-subtle reference to Miles' All Blues. 6/8, blues, even the sirens motif. Cool. I think, however, that Snoink hit the nail on the head; it's as if you thought up a great little bit that turned into the third stanza, but struggled to make it stand up by itself. The first stanza has glimmers of your usual flair:

and

I especially like the play of mourning and morning. But these two alone are not enough to save the day. They're pretty, but as Walker mentioned, the whole section just seems ill-considered, a mish-mash of images and technique that just sort of hangs together and doesn't actually go anywhere.

Ugh. That's like a kick in the guts. The sentiment is good, and the direction is there (finally), but it's unwieldy. Definitely needs refining. Think less sledge-hammer, more surgical scalpel.

As I mentioned above, you hit your stride in the third stanza. The first line had me hook, line, and sinker. It was easy to see exactly where you were going with it, but I don't care. You really seem to grit your teeth, get stuck in, and rip out great bleeding chunks. Awesome. This is what we all like to see.

But then you ruin all the good work. That last little off-hand lick just doesn't do anything for me. It's a bit of a trend around here to have a twist in the tail, and sometimes it's great. But man, I'm just not feeling it here. The juxtaposition of virtuous angels and villainous sirens is clever, and the throwback to scotch on the rocks in the first stanza earned a smile, but square pegs in round holes. It feels so contrived. It feels like it's superglued onto the end, rather than sitting nicely in its spot like it should. You're clever, you know how to fix this.

Finally, the picture. The jury is still out on that one. I definitely think it adds nothing, but whether it detracts or not is still undecided.

It's a rough draft Lumi. But I'm liking where you're going.

K.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 am
View Likes
Flower~Child says...

I feel that former reviews ruined my opinion of this poem. I indeed enjoyed this poem, it's refreshing to read something that isn't cliche. I do agree with the reviewers above, I think that midway through was when the strenght showed in this poem. The last stanza brought tears to my eyes simply because it was so beatiful. I love how you connect with the reader, it's almost like you talking to us with pictures.

(Sighs) You have so much talent my friend, anyone would be lucky to be so blessed with your talent. I really did enjoy this and must stalk your writing now ^_^.

-Flow-
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 am
NightWriter says...

That was beautiful! Really, really emotive!
The descriptive language features you used were very effective.

this particular part flowed really well:

"No man can live by ink alone."
If that's not beautiful, I don't know what is.
Well done!

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:01 pm
popatemyheart1994 says...

I love this! I thought the imagry was great and I really like the subject. You had a smart choice of language here and I especially loved the "mourning bird" reference. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future :)

a whisper between cracks of thunder. <<<<<Loved this

But no man can live by ink alone. <<<<And this!

Im the best :)

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:07 pm
farz95 says...

Hello Lumi , Farz here !

Oh my god. This is a very touching poem. I love reading poems and this one is so simple and inspiring yet so perfect.
My favourite part of the poem is the part where it says

Very powerful poem and the way it has been written is just brilliant...

GOOD JOB!

:D :D :D

It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.
— Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity