like a man of decay.

Sweet sweet air, golden hair.
A skin so coloured with pure,
gold, smiling wisdom. Your
laugh always warms me up.

Spoiler! :
This is why I should stick to depressing poems :D
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

Reviews: 1
Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:20 pm
CStar says...

AJ man! This is amazing my favourite yet! i love the simplicity yet the impact it holds!
Well done!
:)
Coraggio di essere piü forte

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:31 pm
sarebear says...

Hey there Adam,

Alrighty now...nitpicks first, I suppose.

Such a wonderful sight,
it brightens up once again. this line is a little awkward...maybe better to say, "It brightens me up once again" or "It brightens again"
The sweet[insert comma here] sweet air comes near
and removes my cold fear.If I were you, I would be very wary of rhyming (even if accidentally) so early in the poem. If a line later on happens to rhyme, your reader can accept that as coincidence. But the first stanza of your poem sets the tone, and as the reader I then thought that maybe the rest of your piece was also going to rhyme.

that I have stopped it good. This line is a little confusing.
That I have prevented
it from all crumbling down-
like a man of decay. This could be your golden opportunity to insert a beautiful metaphor that leaves your reader speechless--don't waste it!

Sweet[insert comma here] sweet air, golden hair.
gold, smiling wisdom. Your you've already used "gold" twice. Can you pick a different word?
laugh always warms me up.I guess for me this seems like a somewhat anticlimactic ending...just personal preference, though.

Overall nitpicks:

1. Be careful with formatting. Your punctuation should be deliberate. Capitalization should be deliberate. Where you break stanzas--this was a little awkward--and even lines in places should be absolutely deliberate.
2. Don't be afraid to use common literary devices (I'm thinking metaphor). In this sort of poem, when I try to write specimens like this, I usually try to give my voice something of a tender edge, a caress of the words. Try to put that into your voice here. Try to sound soft.

Overall compliments:

1. I like what you're trying to do here. Also, I think it's really good for you to come out of your comfort zone to do this sort of writing, and that you should keep doing a balance of your usual and this sort of stuff.
2. I like that this is short and sweet, and not overly obvious about what it's trying to say without being so painfully obscure that I have no idea what's going on. I especially liked your second stanza (notice that I didn't nitpick on it). Nice job with that!

Hope this helps, nice writing!

~sarebear
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:23 pm
Mikko says...

Oh Adam, this is truly, really beautiful. I'm touched, I really am. What's more touching is that you had a go at writing a "happy" poem eventhough it's not what you're used to - I'm honoured that you made that effort (and you've achieved it in my eyes).

I swear, I felt my heart flutter when reading this because it's really not like you. I was expecting that sarcasm and that touch of rude you almost always put in your poetry but I loved this. I agree, I love the simplicity because (and I hope ;D) it comes from your heart, your true emotions -- without the exaggerations and dramatic expressions (that I love about your other poems).

I don't quite agree with Sear on the breaks in sentences -- I believe it's creative and artistic, not strange at all.

Your
laugh always warms me up.

:3 Even if you can't really hear my laugh, I love this.

You always find a way to surprise me, pleasantly that is, and I appreciate it. <3

I really wish I could say more but I think what I have to add would be quite useless and probably just more rambling about how much I love y-- this. xD

Whether depressing or happy poems, keep writing!
when she needs to shelter from reality she takes a dip in my daydreams

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:07 pm
AliyahPillage says...

I liked the poem although... and this might just be me.. I didn't really understand the meaning of it, you're probably wondering how someone can like something yet not understand it, well this is how; there's much more for me to take from the poem the next time I read it. I like the last stanza and found it worthy of putting in my review

Sweet sweet air, golden hair.
gold, smiling wisdom. Your
laugh always warms me up

I don't know what the description has to do with the air though. The second stanza was the one that confused me the most because it started with a line from the first stanza and it doesn't make much sense to me.

But other than that nicely done short and to the point, keep writing and have a little fun with it.
Wo Ai Ni (I Love You) Jessicarlie Love

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace